Should I be jailed for breaking the law?

Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?

• You should be executed!
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 5 years.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 year.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 month.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 week.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 day.
    • No, cannabis should be legal.
    • Don't know.

Which question?
"Ah, so breaking the law is ok as long as it's not a law you agree with?"

Your next post stated it was an unjust law, which was no answer.

Some people think it's unjust for the age of consent to be so high - should they ignore the minimum age if they think it unjust?

Their view that the law is wrong is no less valid than yours.

Their employer who loses revenue due to their poor performance.

Their family who have to deal with the lethargy, lack of drive and potentially long-term mental issues.

Their kids who may have to go hungry because they're paying for dope as a priority.

None of these apply to a user who uses responsibly.

The victims of crime whose possessions are stolen to pay for drugs.

The innocent pedestrians or motorists they may kill or maim while driving while under the influence of drugs.

The taxpayer who has to fund their benefits when they lose employment.

And nor do any of these.

Your next post stated it was an unjust law, which was no answer.

Some people think it's unjust for the age of consent to be so high - should they ignore the minimum age if they think it unjust?

Their view that the law is wrong is no less valid than yours.

In the case of this particular law, yes I'm prepared to break it as it's an unjust law.

I can see where you're trying to go with that line about age of consent - but trying to compare smoking dope with paedophilia is absurd.

I've answered your question, now answer mine - I'll remind you;

a) If it became illegal to drink alcohol tomorow, would you never drink alcohol again?

b) Why should the state be allowed to decide what an adult is and isn't allowed to ingest?

So can you assure the British Justice system that if they legalise cannabis all users will use the drug in a responsible manner?

Of course not, in the same way that we can't assure anyone that people who drink alcohol will do so responsibly.

That's a bit rich coming from you - you quite plainly choose which rules you choose to follow, since Conrod is by no means the first name you've posted under. I expect you to deny that of course, but we both now it to be true.

In the case of this particular law, yes I'm prepared to break it as it's an unjust law.

I can see where you're trying to go with that line about age of consent - but trying to compare smoking dope with paedophilia is absurd.

I've answered your question, now answer mine - I'll remind you;

a) If it became illegal to drink alcohol tomorow, would you never drink alcohol again?

b) Why should the state be allowed to decide what an adult is and isn't allowed to ingest?

It's only unjust in your view and that of other people who choose to follow an illegal practice. To people like me and other law-abiders who view illegal drug takers with contempt, it's quite appropriate.

a) I probably would when travelling abroad. I enjoy a drink but don't 'need' it and certainly wouldn't be bothered to go through illegal suppliers.

b) Because most adults are barely capable of choosing which foot to put in front of the other let alone what to ingest. If adults were all able to make rational, mature and socially responsible decisions about the conduct of their lives, we wouldn't need laws or Police.

It's only unjust in your view and that of other people who choose to follow an illegal practice. To people like me and other law-abiders who view illegal drug takers with contempt, it's quite appropriate.

a) I probably would when travelling abroad. I enjoy a drink but don't 'need' it and certainly wouldn't be bothered to go through illegal suppliers.

b) Because most adults are barely capable of choosing which foot to put in front of the other let alone what to ingest. If adults were all able to make rational, mature and socially responsible decisions about the conduct of their lives, we wouldn't need laws or Police.

What a profoundly cynical and patronising attitude. I expected nothing less.

That's a bit rich coming from you - you quite plainly choose which rules you choose to follow, since Conrod is by no means the first name you've posted under. I expect you to deny that of course, but we both now it to be true.
Look, you're getting tiresome on this now.

When I first joined this forum you sent me an abusive pm, and since then you have on many occasions accused me of having other identities or being somebody else, and today you've said some pretty vile things and even claimed to know about my family.

I don't know what your agenda is, but please stop. The saying 'attack the post, not the poster' should always apply, though I note with monotonous regularity that your style is to be offensive on a personal level to your opponents rather than to maintain a sensible debate. That may be what you feel you have to do to get noticed, but please refrain from your attempts to be personal with me - you just make yourself look like a bitter little man and you're barking up the wrong tree.

Archived