Should I be jailed for breaking the law?

Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?

• You should be executed!
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 5 years.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 year.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 month.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 week.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 day.
    • No, cannabis should be legal.
    • Don't know.

When I was younger I would have said cannabis should be legalised.

But over the years I've seen how it turns seemingly intelligent and creative people into idle, ignorant slackers who can barely motivate themselves to get out of bed, I've changed my mind and think it should not just stay illegal but users should be treated much more harshly.

But over the years I've seen how it turns seemingly intelligent and creative people into idle, ignorant slackers who can barely motivate themselves to get out of bed

You missed out the quantifier; some people have turned into slackers. I've seen some people ruined by cannabis aswell, but I've seen others live perfectly fine lives.

I've seen some people ruined by alcohol, or women, or fast food too, but I wouldn't argue against everyone else using them in moderation in their lives.

When I was younger I would have said cannabis should be legalised.

But over the years I've seen how it turns seemingly intelligent and creative people into idle, ignorant slackers who can barely motivate themselves to get out of bed, I've changed my mind and think it should not just stay illegal but users should be treated much more harshly.

So you're in favour of protecting drugs cartels and criminal gangs then?

Ok I've read it.......

Schizophrenia, depression, possible relation to mental illness, paranoia, preferable to alcohol...hmmm!...I'm thinking I won't dabble myself unless someone cares to point out some positives of using it.

Paradoxically, even with the marked increase in cannabis use over the last 30 years there has been a consistent decline in psychosis and schizophrenia.

As for paranoia it is simply a matter of choosing a 'brand' which does not produce it.

http://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/opus1714/Estimating_drug_harms.pdf

jb

That's a separate issue. We need to crack down on the users as well as the dealers, and the less users there are, the less dealers there'll be.

You can "crack down" all you like. How are you going to stop people from taking drugs when they are so readily available, even during an all out war on drugs?

To put it another way - what did US authorities fail to do during prohibition in the 1920s and 30s that would have otherwise seen a meaningful reduction in alcohol availability and usage?

Archived