Should I be jailed for breaking the law?

Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?

• You should be executed!
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 5 years.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 year.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 month.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 week.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 day.
    • No, cannabis should be legal.
    • Don't know.

but sensible people know that most hard drug users start their path to deapravity on cannabis.

The gateway theory. Aren't we tired of this one yet?

Drugs are bad because everyone who tries Drug H has also tried tried Drug C.

Whether they have also tried Drug A and and Drug T is irrelevant, because they are good drugs.

Can you translate my code? :)

Explain to me what this has to do with cannabis. Pretend I'm dumb ( ;) ) and put it in really simple terms.

This has zero to do with cannabis but everything to do with the fact that the link between prostitution and trafficking in The Netherlands is a little more than tenuous which was the avenue being explored at the time.

And you think they'll just take the hit?

You seem to think there are a certain amount a criminals that need to steal a certain amount of money to provide an income, and closing one income stream just means they'll pop up somewhere else rather than let their market take a "hit". Is that what you think? :huh:

I think it's much more complicated than that. Opportunity and risk are very important factors. If crime is difficult and with inherent risk then they might indeed choose a different, less profitable crime, but they might also choose a legitimate job.

If crime was really easy, we might be shocked to discover how many "honest" folk would commit it.

At the moment drugs crime is relatively easy and profitable with respect to risk. Make it more risky you might say, but we have been trying that, and failing, for 50 years. The war on drugs can only ever fail, because the market is fixed in favour of the criminals by the law itself. If we push down on the risk side, all we do is bounce up the profit side.

The only sensible approach is to remove the profits entirely, and this can be achieved simply by removing prohibition.

Druggies try hard to deny this, but sensible people know that most hard drug users start their path to deapravity on cannabis.

Chances are they've tried nicotine and alcohol as well, and they probably drink coke and coffee. Does that mean they should all be illegal?

Chances are they've tried nicotine and alcohol as well, and they probably drink coke and coffee. Does that mean they should all be illegal?
I've heard that argument often enough, but we either agree as a society to have laws and draw the line somewhere on what is/is not acceptable, or we have anarchy.

Archived