Should I be jailed for breaking the law?

Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?

• You should be executed!
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 5 years.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 year.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 month.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 week.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 day.
    • No, cannabis should be legal.
    • Don't know.

But the issue remains that alcohol clears the system and leaves people safe to function - numerous other drugs have lingering effects

In cannabis the effects have been vastly studied. The human body can metabolise the THC and its pyschoactive effects within a few hours, and only the metabolite of THC is stored in the body in lipids and hair cells.

In effect, there is no 'cannabis hangover'.

Who cares what it does to you?? At the end of the day it's not a dangerous as other things that are legal. Do we really want everything that is bad for you to be made illegal??

Lets face it, if you do something stupid when you are on drugs, chances are you are a stupid person in the first place!

The main point is the dammage done to other people who get caught up the drugs trade. People who get caugnt up in violence, people who are forced into working in the trade because they have no choice, people who get hooked and get sent to prison instead of getting the help they need.

If you think drugs should remain illegal, you are a fool. You are a fool with no strong arguement for your case.

That is probably because you just can't get it into your head that one is legal, and one is not.

There are many things that we cannot do because of the law, and many laws with which we don't all agree, but the nature of our society is that we have to accept laws and conditions which have been decided by the majority.

The moral failure is the decision to commit a criminal act.

Nonsense. In this case the vast majority of harm previously attributed to drug use, is actually a result of the laws against drugs.

The moral failure is to support those laws that lead to so much suffering and harm.

That's all well and good (do you have figures?).

If cannabis were legal here, then the situation would be different I'm sure, and nobody would be saying the OP should be jailed for breaking the law. I've not said it shouldn't be legalised - my view is unclear as to whether drugs should be legalised and to what extent if so - but whilever it is illegal, people who take illegal drugs are criminals and should expect to be treated as such.

I'm sure they do expect to be treated as such- they are fully aware of the UKs ridiculous drug legislation.

That doesn't make it right to treat people who have done no wrong in that way.

And, when you have a system of flawed and counter-productive laws, it should be no surprise when people condemn and oppose those laws.

And, when you have a system of flawed and counter-productive laws, it should be no surprise when people condemn and oppose those laws.

When the coalition came into power they said they wanted to hear about any laws people wanting changing or scrapping.

Do you know if anyone expressed views on the drug laws to them.

I'm sure they do expect to be treated as such- they are fully aware of the UKs ridiculous drug legislation.

That doesn't make it right to treat people who have done no wrong in that way.

You need to grasp the concept that if people break the law, they HAVE done wrong.

You need to grasp the concept that if people break the law, they HAVE done wrong.

No, I understand the concept you're trying to get across: it's just that I totally disagreee. IMO it's entirely possibly to do a morally right thing that happens to be against the law.

And it's entirely possible for obeying a law to be the morally wrong thig to do.

(e.g. many instances of people following the laws of Nazi Germany and communist Russia were immoral).

Laws, whatever the country, are creations of states and, can be, and often are, morally wrong.

Our UK drug laws are a disgrace- they are directly responsible for causing immense harm, for victimising people who are doing no wrong, for taking up vast amounts of police time that could be spent on much better things, etc.

In short, they are (morally) wrong, as is anyone who chooses to perpetuate/support them (IMO).

And it's entirely possible for obeying a law to be the morally wrong thig to do.

(e.g. many instances of people following the laws of Nazi Germany and communist Russia were immoral).

My apologies, I read this as 'the people were morally wrong for obeying the laws'

Archived