Should I be jailed for breaking the law?

Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?

• You should be executed!
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 5 years.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 year.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 month.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 week.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 day.
    • No, cannabis should be legal.
    • Don't know.

@onewheeldave: But would the same dependency be the end result

I don't know.

I just know that, if legal/regulated, users would have a chance of using the stuff safely.

Evidence from countries that have done this, indicates that, overall, numbers of users drop when a given drug is legalised/decriminalised/regulated.

Currently the situation with heroin is distorted and complex, due to the high degree of social stigma attached to the drug- most users have problems and issues that go way beyond their addiction i.e. social deprivation and mental health issues.

Many are caught up in prostitution and crime, for many, the means of manipulation whereby they were pushed into prostitution was via drugs.

I don't know.

I just know that, if legal/regulated, users would have a chance of using the stuff safely.

Evidence from countries that have done this, indicates that, overall, numbers of users drop when a given drug is legalised/decriminalised/regulated.

Currently the situation with heroin is distorted and complex, due to the high degree of social stigma attached to the drug- most users have problems and issues that go way beyond their addiction i.e. social deprivation and mental health issues.

Many are caught up in prostitution and crime, for many, the means of manipulation whereby they were pushed into prostitution was via drugs.

Maybe, but Heroine carries an arsenal of short and long term affects and i'm not so sure that all are the result of its purity. As for social deprivation and mental health issues, wouldn't it be nice if these were dealt with at a more human level.

Maybe, but Heroine carries an arsenal of short and long term affects and i'm not so sure that all are the result of its purity. As for social deprivation and mental health issues, wouldn't it be nice if these were dealt with at a more human level.

Of course they'll not all the result of it's lack of purity- no-ones saying they are.

But it's a pretty safe bet that most overdoses are a result of the impossibility of determining a doses strength.

And if we want to deal with things at a 'human' level, then surely giving an addict access to a supply of produce that, despite it's other issues, is at least free of added poisonous 'cutting agents' and of a rated strength, so they've at least got a chance of using it in a responsible manner and not end up killing themselves because it's 3x stronger than they were expecting.

Of course they'll not all the result of it's lack of purity- no-ones saying they are.

But it's a pretty safe bet that most overdoses are a result of the impossibility of determining a doses strength.

And if we want to deal with things at a 'human' level, then surely giving an addict access to a supply of produce that, despite it's other issues, is at least free of added poisonous 'cutting agents' and of a rated strength, so they've at least got a chance of using it in a responsible manner and not end up killing themselves because it's 3x stronger than they were expecting.

I suspect that it will remain a topic of conversation for a long time to come. In theory what you would like has sound reasoning behind it but it's too problematic and stigmatic to become a reality if majority counts but you never know. It's been an interesting debate, I thank you :thumbsup:

I suspect that it will remain a topic of conversation for a long time to come. In theory what you would like has sound reasoning behind it but it's too problematic and stigmatic to become a reality if majority counts but you never know. It's been an interesting debate, I thank you :thumbsup:

Several trials have been done. Prescribing heroin to those who are already addicted keeps them safe and allows them to function normally within society, whilst removing the ability to deal from the hands of criminals and cutting off any profit those criminals might make.

Really?

Do you not think the point has been made that just because it's the law doesn't make it right?

I'll say this; I believe there are times when decisions based on law are unjust. There are times when the law defies logic. Abiding by them and/or accepting the meaning of the law does not make a person foolish or weak minded. I do what I do because I believe it to be right for me.

Several trials have been done. Prescribing heroin to those who are already addicted keeps them safe and allows them to function normally within society, whilst removing the ability to deal from the hands of criminals and cutting off any profit those criminals might make.
Can they really 'function normally'?

Archived