Should I be jailed for breaking the law?

Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?

• You should be executed!
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 5 years.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 year.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 month.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 week.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 day.
    • No, cannabis should be legal.
    • Don't know.

That's more to do with religion and history is full of cruelty in the name of this God and that God with Christianity sharing a big slice of that pie.

All good points, all already made. The only thing I'd disagree with is that some drugs should actually be legalised, whilst others should just be decriminalised and prescribed to addicts. The cut off point should be based on the amount of danger and harm the drug does. If it safer than tobacco or alcohol, it should be legal to buy and use if you wish.

Difficult to quantify - which is why (as a retired lawyer) I would go for 'decriminilisation'.

Can you quantify the danger and harm drugs cause? If you were to light a spliff near me, I would probably vomit uncontrollably (It has that effect on me.) I do not smoke MArijuana (for obvious reasons.) I have been known to use it as a condiment on steak, - It enhances the flavour (but has no other effect on me.) Apparently, that can happen.

Marijuana can (rarely) have serious psychotropic side effects and can cause severe behavioural (so laid back, I don't give a damn) disturbances. I've had to deal with somebody who ended up there and it was difficult.

Legalisation is - IMO - a step too far ... but decriminilisation (particularly should the UK follow the Dutch model) - might work

Non- arrestable - but you shouldn't have it. You can't lose your job or your career. Jack Plod (If he catches you with it) will probably chuck it down the drain.

i think it should be legal to buy and use if you want, its your money and your life, i have never touched the stuff myself, but just think of all the lovely tax and vat the goverment could earn if they legalised it and sold it in shops.... many many people smoke it, even some elderly.

What should be legal to buy?

Marijuana?

Cocaine?

Crack?

Heroin?

Legal for anybody?

Another thumbs up from me Rupert, although like Cyclone I'd be inclined to go for legalisation rather than decriminalisation.

Well said.

You don't employ a heroin addict, you employ a person. What he/she does in their spare time has nothing to do with the employer.

Yes and No.

There was a gentleman (who was also a drunkard) - a confidante of Queen Victoria who was believed to have used cocaine regularly. It didn't stop him from becoming Prime Minister.

Are you suggesting that you would employ a predator who didlled little boys because 'What he does in his spare time is his own business'? - Be careful.

The morés of society do change - but I suggest that we should 'tread lightly'.

De-criminilisation (Possession and use - user amounts) would, IMO, be acceptable to many - provided the 'upside' - lower rates of acquisitive crime, far far fewer people incarcerated might get through parliament, but making significant numbers/classes of drugs 'legal' might be a step too far.

Archived