Should I be jailed for breaking the law?

Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?

• You should be executed!
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 5 years.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 year.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 month.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 week.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 day.
    • No, cannabis should be legal.
    • Don't know.

I have no idea it's a ridiculous Law but as I said it's likely more to do with religion than anything else.

You think it's ridiculous, but not wrong?

Does that mean you don't actually see a moral problem with discrimination through statute? Or is it just that you refuse to apply a moral test to a law?

It means that i can't apply a right or wrong label to a Law, they are what they are.

Incidentally there is no Law that prevents Saudi women from driving, it's a religious edict which carries the force of a Law

You're trying to split hairs. That religious edict is enforced by legislation. The law says that she cannot drive by enforcing that edict.

I don't understand your point at all. The law is what it is. That doesn't mean you can't judge any given law on a moral basis. Discriminatory laws are easily judged as wrong, laws which protect people from harm are easily judged as right (for example the law that makes murder illegal).

You're trying to split hairs. That religious edict is enforced by legislation. The law says that she cannot drive by enforcing that edict.

No i'm trying to help you understand that the Law has nothing to do with this instance. Religion carries a lot of weight in the Middle East it doesn't need the back up of the Law. It doesn't need enforcing, there is no legislation, the church said women are not allowed to drive plain and simple

laws which protect people from harm are easily judged as right (for example the law that makes murder illegal).

.....or maintaining that drugs cause harm therefore are illegal.

You can't argue that the law has nothing to do with it when it's the legal process in that country that enforces religious doctrine and effectively makes it the law. The church aren't punishing her, the court have ordered that punishment.

You're kidding me right, you honestly think that Saudi's religious establisment are answerable?

Archived