Motorists, check your wing mirrors before opening your doors.

Bonjon

Walking from my car to work (Wakefield) everyday I see atleast one motorist stop and the passanger fling their door open and run off to the train station. All the time this is on dbl yellows or cycle lane, and 9/10 the driver is not checking their mirrors.

Now the reason I am walking to work in the first place is due to some dizzy bint who stopped at said place during heavy traffic, no indication, didnt even pull towards the kerb, who then allowed her passenger to fling his door open and straight into my cycles path, resulting in me hitting the door and breaking my wrist and damaging the other shoulder.

So today when I see this happened I consult the driver who thinks she is doing nothing wrong, as she is only stopping for a second to let her little darlings out the car so they can go and catch their train.

So please in future if you are insistent on stopping illegally to let your passengers out please check there are no cyclists filtering or any other obstructions on your left.

I hope the woman's car door I smashed up has now realised, and in furture is more careful.

As a car driver you should always allow more than a car doors length when passing a cyclist, surely then, when a cyclist 'undertakes' a motorist he should do the same! :rolleyes:

You mean when a cyclist is cycling in their cycle lane?? Or when a cyclist is filtering??

Please dont tell me you are trying to say I was in the wrong for using a cycle lane.....

Frequently it is the passenger who is at fault for not thinking about what might be behind them; the driver, at most, could only be blamed for not having reminded the passenger to do so.

To what extent - legally or morally - is a driver to blame for a passenger in his vehicle causing an accident? I do not know, but I suspect the law would charge the driver on the grounds that he's responsible for the entire car, including anybody in it.

Frequently it is the passenger who is at fault for not thinking about what might be behind them; the driver, at most, could only be blamed for not having reminded the passenger to do so.

To what extent - legally or morally - is a driver to blame for a passenger in his vehicle causing an accident? I do not know, but I suspect the law would charge the driver on the grounds that he's responsible for the entire car, including anybody in it.

Driver's aren't held responsible if an adult passenger isn't wearing a seatbelt...?

If a vehicle is approaching another vehicle, from the rear; then they should be able to stop should the front vehicle perform an unexpected manouvere.

If not then the approaching vehicle is travelling too fast.

In the case of car doors being opened, they are sometimes opened as you are passing them - remember this is about people opening doors without checking that it's safe to do so. You don't have any time to react then.

<...>

Now the reason I am walking to work in the first place is due to some dizzy bint who stopped at said place during heavy traffic, no indication, didnt even pull towards the kerb, who then allowed her passenger to fling his door open and straight into my cycles path, resulting in me hitting the door and breaking my wrist and damaging the other shoulder.<...>

You are supposed to overtake/filter to the right of stationary vehicles.

If the driver's door, or the car, had knocked you as you were filtering on the right, I'd have been with you on the argument. To an extent (it's happened to me on a motorbike, and -though I agree with convert above- no way could I have stopped as convert implies, since the carvan took off unexpectedly and brusquely from a stationary line of traffic, without any indication, as I had just reached its rear bumper...I did manage to stop promptly: wedged against the driver door, between my bike and the car's (now broken) wingmirror :D).

Since you were making progress on the left, effectively undertaking, I'm not.

You are supposed to overtake/filter to the right of stationary vehicles.

If the driver's door, or the car, had knocked you as you were filtering on the right, I'd have been with you on the argument. To an extent (it's happened to me on a motorbike, and -though I agree with convert above- no way could I have stopped as convert implies, since the carvan took off unexpectedly and brusquely from a stationary line of traffic, without any indication, as I had just reached its rear bumper...I did manage to stop promptly: wedged against the driver door, between my bike and the car's rear view mirror).

Since you were making progress on the left, effectively undertaking, I'm not.

I think the OP was in a cycle lane...that's how I read it anyway. :)

Archived