Motorists, check your wing mirrors before opening your doors.

Bonjon

At a guess, the wrist is better enough to hold a steering wheel but not to hold handlebars. In a car you have lots of suspension to even out the road bumps and you don't support your weight with your hands. On a bike there is little to no suspension depending on the bike and you partially support your weight through your wrists.

Would have thought it just a tad illegal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelight View Post

But lets face it reading many of the posts on Sheffield Forum regarding traffic violations, theres allways some people that come on here and say .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelight View Post

riding through RED LIGHTS at Traffic lights & Pelican Crossings, riding on pavements when no cycling lane is present, failing to stop at a pedestrian crossing, riding the wrong way on a one-way street.

...there's always somebody who make a massive erroneous assumption that makes them look daft, like saying that cyclists are justifying...

Twist it anyway you like but if you want to make a point, quote the complete post I made not just edit it and quote the sections you have listed above. You will see that I stated some cyclists, not all think they have no right to obey the highway code. Judging from your post I assume you are one of the cyclists I refered to as some and think its okay not to abide by the rules of the road. Theres plenty more motorists on the forum thats stated the exact same as what I have about the way some cyclists behave on the roads of Sheffield.

It's quite instructive to see how this thread has spun off into an argument about fault, law etc.

A bobby will take a view on fault, an insurance company can take an entirely different view as will a Defensive Driving Instructor. So "fault" is a bit difficult to pin down and shifts with the job function of the observer.

Try looking at it from a Responsibility and Avoidability perspective and you have, perhaps, a more productive and conclusive discussion.

Of the two people involved (in ANY incident, not just door-opening) on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = not at all responsible/couldn't have avoided it; 5= entirely responsible/absolutely could have avoided it) how would you rate the driver's/pedestrian's/cyclists actions?

Archived