Expat Americans, anyone with dual citizenship, and their children: Beware.

Because the poster has dual citizenship? Why wouldn't the poster make a reference to it?

An American can under certain circumstances lose their citizenship by serving in a foreign military force, voting in a foreign election, accepting a knighthood or running for political office in a foreign country as well as going through the full procedure of renouncing citizenship at a US embassy or consulate in a foreign country.

Given the OPs apparent complete detachment from the US I'm just mildly curious why the OP hasn't acted to eliminate the dual citizenship status which would possibly exempt her/him from any obligation to pay US taxes under that new law

The big difference between the UK and the US is that if you were born in the UK before 1985 of British parentage you cannot lose or renounce British citizenship. It's there forever even if you take foreign nationality

The big difference between the UK and the US is that if you were born in the UK before 1985 of British parentage you cannot lose or renounce British citizenship. It's there forever even if you take foreign nationality

I didn't know that, I wasn't all that bothered about keeping my British citizenship when I apply for Canadian, I guess I don't have a choice.

I didn't know that, I wasn't all that bothered about keeping my British citizenship when I apply for Canadian, I guess I don't have a choice.

I lived for just over a year in Montreal. Back then if you were a British citizen you could vote in the Canadian elections.

As far as the thread subject here's concerned and looking from the other end I wouldn't pay taxes to the Inland Revenue for money earned in the US either. God only knows I pay enough to the IRS as it is :hihi:

Thankfully, the British dont have to do this.

Its only the US & Iran who want to tax anyone whose a citizen of their country.

Also renouncing isnt straight forward, takes a few years, and even after its successful the person still has to file for x amount of years after the fact.

To the OP I sent an email off to my sister and she asked for links and I redirected her to FACTA guide on the IRS site. Shes going to look into it for me, but as her internet at home is non-existent and restricted at work, it will take some time to get back to me on on the consequences of this new law going into place. Ill try to remember to update as soon as I can.

Alternageek, I appreciate your efforts and those of your sister. It's a big worry.

I never renounced citizenship for a few reasons; because I didn't realise there were any obligations (I don't feel America and I owe each other anything); and because I suspected when I stopped applying for US passports some 20 odd years ago, and turned 18, that I was no longer allowed to be a US citizen, as they didn't (I thought) accept dual nationality for anyone over 18.

It appears that even if I do it now, all I will be doing is putting my head above the parapet so they can target me for several years of filing, either demanding it or charging me a penalty for not providing it. Which on principle I don't feel i should provide, and financially we're unable to comply with any fines, anyway.

So I am tempted to keep my head down and hope I've been forgotten.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to see my family without fear, either way. :(

Alternageek, I appreciate your efforts and those of your sister. It's a big worry.

I never renounced citizenship for a few reasons; because I didn't realise there were any obligations (I don't feel America and I owe each other anything); and because I suspected when I stopped applying for US passports some 20 odd years ago, and turned 18, that I was no longer allowed to be a US citizen, as they didn't (I thought) accept dual nationality for anyone over 18.

It appears that even if I do it now, all I will be doing is putting my head above the parapet so they can target me for several years of filing, either demanding it or charging me a penalty for not providing it. Which on principle I don't feel i should provide, and financially we're unable to comply with any fines, anyway.

So I am tempted to keep my head down and hope I've been forgotten.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to see my family without fear, either way. :(

You once metioned that you had no intention of returning to the US ever... I believe.

So whats your worry? The British govt wont send you back to the US for trial if you refuse to pay. It's not an extraditable offence whatsoever.

You once metioned that you had no intention of returning to the US ever... I believe.

So whats your worry? The British govt wont send you back to the US for trial if you refuse to pay. It's not an extraditable offence whatsoever.

Never to live.

I have very close family in America. While I can rarely afford to go, it would be awful to think I could never visit them again in case I and my family were at risk.

Never to live.

I have very close family in America. While I can rarely afford to go, it would be awful to think I could never visit them again in case I and my family were at risk.

I must have misunderstood. I was sure you said that you had no intention of traveling to the US again.

As far as this taxation issue is concerned I dont see that the UK government would allow it under their laws. It appears to be interference to me and also illegal to tax people twice on the same income as the Internal Revenue have already taken their cut.

I can see a lot of American ex-pats hiring lawyers to fight this if it ever comes about

Anytime..

Its confusing to me, because unless I hit the threshold, I really dont think I should have to file... The only way to get something done is speak to a congressperson BUT theyll only talk to you if youre represented by them. If youve never lived there, who would be ones rep? Its a tricky thing and I think the gov't takes advantage of it.

With the prospects of being caught for not filing it shouldnt be an issue. I think the case quoted in your link might be a fluke more than common thing as it seems to be quoted by a fringe group and not a leading publication. Ive been back twice in 6 years, never filing and never being stopped or questioned about it. I was told they would reject passport renewal for non-filers and was still able to update without questions asked.

BTW whenever you visit the US youre supposed to enter on your US passport. Youre actually breaking the law by not entering on it. With UK, this law doesnt apply, but for the US it does...

Again, once I know more about this FACTA ruling Ill let you know.

Archived