A grave miscarriage of justice..

For those who want to play the race card a white man was also executed yesterday in Texas for the murder of a black man.

The judicial system works pretty evenly these days when it comes to race.

well that's ok then! perhaps uncle sam should have a quota system of 10 whiteys judicially butchered for every black victim of their barbarism to avoid the (unavoidable) conclusion of racism.

Troy Davis had evidence of innocence that convinced the world, but failed to touch the good burgers of Georgia.

Tbh Halibut I'll decline to read 17 pages about a specific case. What is it you expect me to do, decide if he was innocent or guilty on the basis of a newpaper article?

I would never suggest that no innocent person has ever been executed for a crime they did not commit, I do think it's foolhardly to proclaim a persons innocence or guilt on the basis of media hype rather than the result of any thorough re-investigation.

An innocent black man put to death in southern USA - never!

doubt was raised in every corner of the world and the supreme court refused to hear the case (read up before you spout off) sending it back to the georgia state to decide on a retrial - they decided agin - the rope was swinging and troy was a dead man walking - public opinion in georgia wouldn't allow an acquittal at retrial and troy died a defiant, dignified man at the hands of butchers.

Give it a break :rolleyes: You're still living " In the heat of the Night"

Next thing you'll be telling me that the Pope, the world and You Tube know nore about the case than the jury, the judge, the state Supreme Court and the Supreme court in Washington.

Certainly you dont know much about the process of appeals at the state and federal level.

I would hope they are smart, most of the barristers and judges I've met have been prodigiously smart.

I for one haven't said that no miscarriages of justice can take place, but I am satisfied that the system is about as good as it can get, and that guilty people being released is a far, far greater problem than innocent people being convicted. A hundred thousand fold.

well sleep tight tonight matey, guilty or innocent, troy davis isn't going to nip over to sheffield and murder you in your bed, cos despite the great majority of witnesses withdrawing he's as dead as any other murder victim. If an apparently innocent man being put to death is 'as about as good as it can get' then you have just put forward the best argument against capital punishment that I have ever heard.

Tbh Halibut I'll decline to read 17 pages about a specific case. What is it you expect me to do, decide if he was innocent or guilty on the basis of a newpaper article?

A newspaper article that examines what was brought before the court and which shows that overwhelming evidence pointing to a mans innocence was to all intents and purposes ignored.

well that's ok then! perhaps uncle sam should have a quota system of 10 whiteys judicially butchered for every black victim of their barbarism to avoid the (unavoidable) conclusion of racism.

Troy Davis had evidence of innocence that convinced the world, but failed to touch the good burgers of Georgia.

Well maybe we should just scrap the judicial system here and have the world decide based on You-Tube

Give it a break :rolleyes: You're still living " In the heat of the Night"

Next thing you'll be telling me that the Pope, the world and You Tube know nore about the case than the jury, the judge, the state Supreme Court and the Supreme court in Washington.

Certainly you dont know much about the process of appeals at the state and federal level.

supreme court refused to hear the case - do your homework.

not a big fan of youtube or the pope, but I do think that 'the world' is quite a powerful opinion base, but then again I'm not a right wing georgian christian nutjob or you.

Well maybe we should just scrap the judicial system here and have the world decide based on You-Tube

no, scrapping capital punishment would do.

do you think it is even the tiniest percent possible that troy was innocent? (most of the witnesses at his trial now think he was) and , on that basis, was it acceptable to strap him to a trolley and stop his heart with a drugs overdose?

Archived