A grave miscarriage of justice..

you're playing the 'race card'

Sussed it Frank. Brewer was a white supremacist done for his part in murdering a black man by dragging him in chains by a pick up truck.

Bojangles - a different response from the press has more to do with the fact that Brewer was almost certainly guilty.

For the record, I don't think he should have been executed.

no, scrapping capital punishment would do.

do you think it is even the tiniest percent possible that troy was innocent? (most of the witnesses at his trial now think he was) and , on that basis, was it acceptable to strap him to a trolley and stop his heart with a drugs overdose?

No. I think there was enough conclusive evidence to find him guilty and better and wiser men than me in judicial matters also thought so.

If the standard sentence for all murderers was life in prison without the possibilty of parole. In other words they stay in prison until they rot and die then I could see ending the death penalty as being okay.

The problem is that too many of them serve 15-20 years and then get out to live a normal life until they die of old age. Something they denied the victim

That is totally unacceptable to me

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann

I've just read it again. Written reporting at its finest.

It really is a must read. Even if it was fiction it would be gripping, the fact that it actually details real life events, leading up to the state sanctioned murder of an innocent man, is sickening.

Under Gov. Rick Perry, now a presidential candidate, Texas has executed more than 230 death row inmates. At the Reagan Library presidential debate, Perry was asked if he had ever lost sleep over the possibility that just one of them might have been innocent. "Not even a wink" was his reply.

Not even a wink! That's the problem right there. :rant:

That is sickening. I can never reconcile how a country which prides itself on being so civilised and is only too happy to invade those countries it deems to be uncivilised, has such a high number of states where capital punishment is still practised. Apparently, there were 46 executions in 2010, 44 by lethal injection, one by electric chair (in Virginia), and one by firing squad (in Utah) (ref: wiki). Firing squad?! I didn't realise that the electric chair was still used.

Sussed it Frank. Brewer was a white supremacist done for his part in murdering a black man by dragging him in chains by a pick up truck.

Bojangles - a different response from the press has more to do with the fact that Brewer was almost certainly guilty.

For the record, I don't think he should have been executed.

Ah - key here - a different response to the press. Does the press always lead you so easily?

As for Brewer's fate, he was a truly vile individual. If any murderer has ever deserved execution, or society ever been better rid of a dangerous animal masquerading as a human being, the list above Brewer isn't very long.

No. I think there was enough conclusive evidence to find him guilty and better and wiser men than me in judicial matters also thought so.

If the standard sentence for all murderers was life in prison without the possibilty of parole. In other words they stay in prison until they rot and die then I could see ending the death penalty as being okay.

The problem is that too many of them serve 15-20 years and then get out to live a normal life until they die of old age. Something they denied the victim

That is totally unacceptable to me

In fairness, most men are probably better and wiser than you, but that's not the point - the point is whether even a tiny shadow of doubt should stop a judicial killing - yes or no? simple question.

agree halibut, even despicable supremicist scum should not be killed like animals

Better men than criminals are killed in wars. If you think the taking of life is the worst sin mankind can commit then you must be totally against war of any kind.... justified or not.... correct?

That is sickening. I can never reconcile how a country which prides itself on being so civilised and is only too happy to invade those countries it deems to be uncivilised, has such a high number of states where capital punishment is still practised. Apparently, there were 46 executions in 2010, 44 by lethal injection, one by electric chair (in Virginia), and one by firing squad (in Utah) (ref: wiki). Firing squad?! I didn't realise that the electric chair was still used.
I bet tickets sell quickly in Utah.

Archived