A grave miscarriage of justice..

I'm looking forward to your answer to the basic question of whether an execution should proceed in the face of doubt about guilt. I presume we aren't going to get one, cos the only possible answer is 'no of course it shouldn't'
I did, post 126.

As I said, a tiny shadow of doubt is close enough to guilty for me.

I think this Halibut guy only sees what he wants to read.

You're being rather silly now. I wasn't aware of the case until half an hour or so ago and have already commented on it - vile crime, vile individual, shouldn't have been executed.

What is it that you think I'm missing here?

There will always be some element of 'tiny shadow'. Nothing is absolute.

I'm happy that very, very few people end up in a crown court that are not completely guilty - my only concern is that some are not convicted.

we're not talking about the 'crown court' we're talking about Georgia (it's in america) and whether an execution should proceed in the light of evidence of innocence - it's a 'yes or no' question.

if you think - yes, the process is more impotrtant than the possibility of an innocent man dying, then have the balls to say so.

In fairness, most men are probably better and wiser than you, but that's not the point - the point is whether even a tiny shadow of doubt should stop a judicial killing - yes or no? simple question.

As I keep repeating I only know what You-Tube chose to put out or what the news channels keep repeating. I'm inclined to lean strongly that had there been the slightest shadow of doubt there would have been a stay

Supreme Court justices just dont look at a murder case hum and haw and toss it aside ignoring any evidence that may justify a delay and a retrial. Davis already had a retrial I believe.

Obama had no authority to stop the execution either. The only person was either the state governor or the Supreme court. Obama could have called the governor and asked for a stay but that was all he could have done "ask" but this is a case of interfering in State's rights in judical matters which violates constitutional law.

Why do you think the US Supreme Court has never rulled the death penalty unconstitutional thoughout the country?

It's because states are free to decide the death penalty as punishment. The Supreme court does have the authority though to overule the state if mitigating circumstances warrant it.

In Troy Davis case apparently it did not.

I did, post 126.

As I said, a tiny shadow of doubt is close enough to guilty for me.

What about the case of Cameron Todd Willingham where the prosecutions case that he'd killed his three children by arson was shown to be based on a false premise? There was no arson, but they killed him anyway?

That Ok with you too?

As I keep repeating I only know what You-Tube chose to put out or what the news channels keep repeating. I'm inclined to lean strongly that had there been the slightest shadow of doubt there would have been a stay

Supreme Court justices just dont look at a murder case hum and haw and toss it aside ignoring any evidence that may justify a delay and a retrial. Davis already had a retrial I believe.

Obama had no authority to stop the execution either. The only person was either the state governor or the Supreme court. Obama could have called the governor and asked for a stay but that was all he could have done "ask" but this is a case of interfering in State's rights in judical matters which violates constitutional law.

Why do you think the US Supreme Court has never rulled the death penalty unconstitutional thoughout the country?

It's because such matters fall under state judicial law

If you read the New York Times report on the Willingham case you'd be singing a different tune. I dare you to challenge your own views by reading it.

Bet you won't, because you're unwilling to accept the possibility that US justice gets it wrong sometimes and innocent men are put to death.

It's because such matters fall under state judicial law

with respect, if your knowledge of the case only stretches to you tube, then you are not really in a position to comment are you. why not readup on the case and see if you don't get a horrible feeling that a completely innocent man was yesterday strapped to a table and put down

Irrespective of the mans guilt or innocence I find it completely abhorrent that any man/woman has to face being on death row for 20 years , the man has already served a life sentence.In my opinion its plain mental cruelty inflicted on a human being by the good old USA it happens regularly,Caryll Chessman "The red light bandit" who was convicted of rape ,kidnapping and robbery was a cause celebre for the abolition of the death penalty after serving 12 years on death row before being gassed.

It's because states are free to decide the death penalty as punishment. The Supreme court does have the authority though to overule the state if mitigating circumstances warrant it.

In Troy Davis case apparently it did not.

Cloud cuckoo land. The Supreme Courts didn't come down on the side of right in the 2000 election, why the hell do you think they are infallible.

Land of the free! Land of the bent more like.

I take it that the fact that the most powerful nation on earth is killing its own citizens on very shaky evidence doesn't trouble you?

Have you ever called for criminals to be executed?

Bothered about innocent people riding the needle?No?

So advice please. How would you have dealt with the Troy Davis case>

Archived