A grave miscarriage of justice..

Got to disagree mate. This scumbag dragged a man to a hideous prolonged death for no reason, give me one good reason that having taken a life in such a manner that having his life ended in a very painless manner is wrong?

Fully agree, a prime candidate for execuation and totally deserving.

Got to disagree mate. This scumbag dragged a man to a hideous prolonged death for no reason, give me one good reason that having taken a life in such a manner that having his life ended in a very painless manner is wrong?

Because if we, as a society claim that killing is wrong, we shouldn't kill.

Because if we continue to kill men like Brewer then we also continue to kill men like Davis who may not have been guilty and men like Willingham, who as sure as anyone reasonably can be, was innocent.

If you disagree about Willingham, please, please read this - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/opinion/01herbert.html

It gives a shorter version than the original New York Times piece (linked to at several points throughout the thread) which runs to 17 pages. I read it this morning and was quite shaken.

You're an intelligent man, I implore you to read it.

II can't be bothered to google it, but does anyone know the average time a person spends on death row before they're murdered executed?

http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/pdf/t600242009.pdf

that shows you how much the number of months prisoners spend on death row has increased in the past 30 odd years (those executed now have spent an average of of 170 odd months on death row prior to their execution compared to about 70 in 1984), but it doesn't tell you how much it varies between states - which it will.

capital punishment was only reinstated in the United States from 1976, therefore it stands to reason that at first, in the early 80s those few that were executed hadn't been on death row for a long time.

I cannot see how it is. But the fact remains that Capital Punishment makes any restitution in cases of miscarriage of justice impossible. No system is infallible, and I think that even the smallest risk of death of an innocent person is too high a price to pay. By the same token, I accept that guilty criminals will be housed, fed, clothed and receive medical care at the expense of everybody else until they die of old age. It's not a happy thought, but it's still preferable to the alternative.

The link has been made to the deaths of inocent people in acts of war. I think that is clouding the issue. War is nothing like a judicial process where we, the people, sit in judgment on those who have violated the laws of our society.

I cannot see how it is. But the fact remains that Capital Punishment makes any restitution in cases of miscarriage of justice impossible. No system is infallible, and I think that even the smallest risk of death of an innocent person is too high a price to pay. By the same token, I accept that guilty criminals will be housed, fed, clothed and receive medical care at the expense of everybody else until they die of old age. It's not a happy thought, but it's still preferable to the alternative.

The link has been made to the deaths of inocent people in acts of war. I think that is clouding the issue. War is nothing like a judicial process where we, the people, sit in judgment on those who have violated the laws of our society.

I you're American I agree, ignore the UN. But that is another issue. I do agree with your view on capital punishment however.

Also, for money minded folk, it's actually a great deal more expensive to execute someone than keep them in jailfor life.

Archived