A grave miscarriage of justice..

Harleyman, I saw you murder a policeman yesterday and 6 other witnesses will testify to that fact so case closed as far as your concerned. The problem is some of us as felons have been put under pressure by the police to make statements against you.

The likelihood is that you'll receive the death penalty for the murder of the police officer. There's little that can be done, but to appease the family and society we need a sacrifice and executing anyone will do.

Nothing can bring back the dead officer, but as you sit on death row certain of your innocence, would you want the criminal justice system, campaigners and your loved ones to give up on you?

You're quite right, none of us heard the case, Davis may well have been a scumbag, but sufficient doubt was created when the majority of the people who testified against him recanted their statements and another made an admission of guilt that wasn't investigated, that begs a retrial at the very least, do you think that's reasonable and the most compassionate thing to do?

Dispatching innocent people to appease the outcry over a killing makes the state create more victims-the executed, their partner, children and family do you equally spare them a thought too?

It also makes victims of all Americans, because any of you could be snared by vexatious allegations and the failure of the court and politicians to act properly in light of them.

Rubin Carter would agree with you entirely. Thankfully he would be able to as well as he wasn't executed.

Surely the USA has an appeals process like we do, so if evidence casting doubt on a conviction comes to light, it can be submitted as part of an appeal.

So was this 'new evidence' in this particular case ever put through their appeals process?

Perhaps it did and the appeals were rejected. Perhaps it didn't, in which case why not?

It's been 21 years since his conviction, so these witnesses have had 21 years to recant the evidence they gave, so I'm more than a little suspicious that this is all being used in a media frenzy at the n'th hour.

If Troy Davis ever gets a posthumous pardon, perhaps the 'witnesses' that are now recanting their original evidence should be prosecuted for perjury, or even the USA equivelant of manslaughter or murder, since it was their evidence that saw him convicted and ultimately put to death because of it. If that was a prospect, I wonder if they'd still be recanting their evidence?

Considering 'faux' has been part of the English language since the 17th century I hardly consider its use as an indication of snobbery.

Your post is however a pretty good indication of the level of thickness with which you are imbued.

I am now going to the Cafe as I have had enough of talking to a Charlatan who is only concerned with his Clique. His Critique of viewpoints that differ from his own is De rigueur and a real pain in the Derriere. Still it is the type of Gauche behaviour one comes to expect from someone who has no Rapport with anyone.

Right time to watch a repeat of the Grand Prix.

;)

Mangetout, ArchViz, me old, mangetout.;)

While the English language contains many word of French origin the use of such words as 'faux" (false), "au revoir" (see ya later), "au fait" (aware or up to speed) definitely categorizes the user as a self pretentious snob.

Most often such people are trying to impress others in a somewhat pathetic attempt to convey sophistication and an impression of a superior education when in fact neither of these exist.

Surely the USA has an appeals process like we do, so if evidence casting doubt on a conviction comes to light, it can be submitted as part of an appeal.

So was this 'new evidence' in this particular case ever put through their appeals process?

Perhaps it did and the appeals were rejected. Perhaps it didn't, in which case why not?

It's been 21 years since his conviction, so these witnesses have had 21 years to recant the evidence they gave, so I'm more than a little suspicious that this is all being used in a media frenzy at the n'th hour.

If Troy Davis ever gets a posthumous pardon, perhaps the 'witnesses' that are now recanting their original evidence should be prosecuted for perjury, or even the USA equivelant of manslaughter or murder, since it was their evidence that saw him convicted and ultimately put to death because of it. If that was a prospect, I wonder if they'd still be recanting their evidence?

A recent study found that juries are increasingly less likely to recommend the death penalty in murder cases but on the other hand a majority of the population still favour it.

The idea that life in prison without any possibility of parole is increasing being thought of as an alternative. That's not a bad idea.

What is bad is that a current life sentence means that with good behaviour a murderer could finish his/her sentence in the space of about 15 years then be set free.

That's just not acceptable

Archived