A grave miscarriage of justice..

Lots of people go to court without being convicted or are exonerated from Death Row. It doesn't mean that they are not guilty of their crimes, just that the burden of proof and procedural requirements work in the favour of criminals.

Pff. It does not make it right, does it? If someone innocent is convicted due to a flawed criminal justice system, then surely the system should change? Exactly how and why should a criminal system not reflect the ethics of the population ?

A dead criminal is not worth 3/4 of an hour of my time I'm afraid, time is money.

Even if there were to be doubt over his guilt, he'd just be one isolated case - no system is perfect and we can't expect it to be.

Perhaps you should be more concerned about the many thousands who get away with crime than the one who might be wrongfully convicted.

LOL, you've not had your Weetabix yet this morning Conrod have you? Blood sugar definitely in the bargain basement.

A bright boy like you should see the wider implications of outcomes like this..any American citizen could be the 'beneficiary' of such apparent miscarriages, so they are all victims if that's the case.

The other issue is that when cases like these reach the public consciousness, in states that have the death penalty you'll find that jurors will be more reluctant to convict a 'guilty' defendant if they know execution might be the sentencing outcome..so in fact guilty murderers would walk where otherwise they'd be locked up.

... We only have the info available from the linked article, but if he was denied a lie detector 3 times in a row, including the supreme court deniying him the chance, there is no hope for the US justice system...

On the lie detector front there is a very good reason they are not used in the UK, that is they don't detect lies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_detection#Controversy

jb

Read it again, he said Even if you, the person reading this, believe in it, surely this case must shake your belief that it's the right thing to do.

Sorry, can you paraphrase that please? Do you mean that the guy should still be killed, or should not be killed ? Sorry. Too early for me to decode maybe. I thought he said he should not be killed, despite that he committed a crime.

(my bold) Seems a bit contradictory

It is contradictory, but that is not a bad thing. That is the main reason why the law should not be based on emotions, but should be based solely on rationale thought.

I too would be no doubt willing to commit murder in a similar position. Why? Because I would not be thinking rationally, but I am 100% against the death penalty.

Not in Texas. They executed a White supremacist last night who chained a black guy to his pickup and dragged round the streets till he was dead. He did that in 1998 so they can move things along. Odd they chose to do it at the same time as troy davis. Laurence brewer is surely the poster boy of why in some cases the death penalty is a good idea.

Can't also help thinking if it had been a everyday Joe rather than off duty police this might have ended very differently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Davis_case

http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/press-releases/troy-davis-execution-a-catastrophic-failure-of-the-justice-system-charges-amnesty-international

I apologise to the OP. I just caught up on the reading of this case. I am so shocked as well. Though it certainly does not surprise me if the US system is flawed. Sorry to say this.

Archived