A grave miscarriage of justice..

Not in Texas. They executed a White supremacist last night who chained a black guy to his pickup and dragged round the streets till he was dead. He did that in 1998 so they can move things along. Odd they chose to do it at the same time as troy davis. Laurence brewer is surely the poster boy of why in some cases the death penalty is a good idea.

To be honest, as evil as Brewer was I don't believe executing him was right either.

. . . . The other issue is that when cases like these reach the public consciousness, in states that have the death penalty you'll find that jurors will be more reluctant to convict a 'guilty' defendant if they know execution might be the sentencing outcome..so in fact guilty murderers would walk where otherwise they'd be locked up.
That one problem is a concern, and when using a jury a good argument in favour of life-meaning-life jail terms.

However, I would rather see a panel of professional qualified judges make verdict decisions than random people chosen from the great unwashed - for me, juries are an unnecessary complication.

Sorry, can you paraphrase that please? Do you mean that the guy should still be killed, or should not be killed ? Sorry. Too early for me to decode maybe. I thought he said he should not be killed, despite that he committed a crime.

As I read it, Halibut is saying that a case like this ought to change the minds of supporters of the death penalty.

If he'd have said "not" the right thing to do, as you suggested he should have, It would have read:

Even if you, the person reading this, believe in it, surely this case must shake your belief that it's the not right thing to do.

...which wouldn't make sense would it? ;)

Does the President actually have the power to intervene?

yes. The President doesn't just have the power to grant a stay of execution, he or she also has the power to grant clemency and have somebody released more or less immeadiately, under Article II of the Constitution of the United States.

He's the president for pity's sake, he can influence other countries I'm sure he could have influenced Georgia.

any President can have any one of the 3 million convicted prisoners in the US released, any time they want. They might catch all hell for it, but they can.

As no SF members were in the Court, and none of us heard/saw the evidence or witnesses' testimony, our views are wholly unfounded and irrelevant- whether members agree/disagree with the verdict/sentence.
That doesn't seem to make any difference to the misguided do-gooders on this forum.

Archived