Gurkhas under fire

I think the Gurkhas certainly have a claim to live here, and we owe them many thanks for what they have done under the Union Jack.

There may well be some practical issues in that area, with a high concentration of elderly people arising. There will be visible problems with healthcare and other services.

Whilst offence may have been taken, I think it may well be wise for this to be discussed with possible solutions suggested? No point shying away from problems just because someone might take offence to it, because the problem will just get worse.

The comments about the park however were pretty dumb.

The Gurkha regiments are doomed now they have equality with British squadies. Their employment was based on the fact they made good cheap mercenaries. Why would we now employ them in favour of British soldiers? There's no advantage, in fact a disadvantage in terms of British employment.

We've also removed Nepal's second highest source of income (after tourism), which previously was the pensions that retired Gurkhas lived on back in Nepal.

It wasn't the smartest move to give them equality with British employees as it will ultimately lead to their demise.

Peter Caroll isn't an MP he's the spokesman for the Gurkha justice campaign.

The MP who made the remarks is Gerald Howarth.

That will sincerely teach me to read properly the information contained in links that I post when discrediting people, thanks for pointing out my oversight andy :blush:

I think the Gurkhas certainly have a claim to live here, and we owe them many thanks for what they have done under the Union Jack.

There may well be some practical issues in that area, with a high concentration of elderly people arising. There will be visible problems with healthcare and other services.

Whilst offence may have been taken, I think it may well be wise for this to be discussed with possible solutions suggested? No point shying away from problems just because someone might take offence to it, because the problem will just get worse.

The comments about the park however were pretty dumb.

But the solution isn't 'dispersal' as the MP put it. Why don't we disperse all the elderly who choose to live in Bournemouth or Bognor Regis? Such a proposal would be met with the ridicule it deserves. The Gurkhas are entitled to live here and live wherever they like, it wouldn't be much fun for them to be isolated in communities without familiar faces. The costs of the social/healthcare infrastructure would have to be met wherever they lived, so central government should subsidise those costs.

Why do countries hire merecenaries anyway? I know the Ghurhkas have played a heroic part in Britain's military history but get people from other cultures and countries to help do your fighting?

I have to take my hat off to that other country that use merecenaries.... France. Their merecenaries seem to get more appreciation and better treatment than the Ghurkhas it seems

Why do countries hire merecenaries anyway? I know the Ghurhkas have played a heroic part in Britain's military history but get people from other cultures and countries to help do your fighting?

I have to take my hat off to that other country that use merecenaries.... France. Their merecenaries seem to get more appreciation and better treatment than the Ghurkhas it seems

To describe regiments with nearly 2 centuries of loyal service to the crown as "hired mercenaries" is rather disrespectful.

Ghurkas swear allegiance to the crown and fight for Britain, legionaires swear allegiance to La Legion not to France, quite a difference.

Hi

In every country you have untapped warriors that run fater than the fastest in the uk, have more stamina than the avg highly trained soldier in the uk and take more risks. so why not recurit from another poor country???

We do already. Large chunks if the army are filled with Aussies, kiwis, saffers and Fijians to name but a few. And not all gurkhers are based in aldershot either. Most English garrison towns will have a few and shops to service them and their families to match. That said in aldershot I happened down a street which the shops were almost exclusively Nepalese, apart from the odd takeaway which was run by a few ex- gurkhas (I think - the one I went into was). It was full of so many different sights and smells it didn't feel like england ( it was a hot summer evening which might have added to it ) and I haven't really seen much like it since. They did a cracking pizza too !

To be honest I can't see what the fuss is about. So there are a few ex Gurkhas wondering about. 20 odd years ago before cut after cut I'd bet there was more just all in uniform.

To describe regiments with nearly 2 centuries of loyal service to the crown as "hired mercenaries" is rather disrespectful.

Ghurkas swear allegiance to the crown and fight for Britain, legionaires swear allegiance to La Legion not to France, quite a difference.[/quote]

That may be so but a discharged legionnaire who has served his full term honourably is entitled to French citizenship will all the rights and privileges enjoyed by any other French citizen.

Judging by what's been posted on the thread there seems to be a bunch of shabby whining ungrateful people in Britain who are unwilling to accord the same rights to Ghurkha veterans.

As a matter of fact i have the highest regard for the Ghurkhas. I came across many of them during my service in the British army

Archived