Gurkhas under fire

But the solution isn't 'dispersal' as the MP put it. Why don't we disperse all the elderly who choose to live in Bournemouth or Bognor Regis? Such a proposal would be met with the ridicule it deserves. The Gurkhas are entitled to live here and live wherever they like, it wouldn't be much fun for them to be isolated in communities without familiar faces. The costs of the social/healthcare infrastructure would have to be met wherever they lived, so central government should subsidise those costs.

I know, it's difficult. Dispersal may well not be feasible, and I agree they should be able to choose where they live.

I certainly don't want to use this valid thread as a staging post for yet another debate about immigration, but the fact of the matter is that many new inhabitants of an area will stretch the services which were set up for lower numbers and different demographics.

People are probably going to be thinking to themselves, "why here" and so on and that.

I just think that there is no need to be overly offended or think that objections should be dismissed straight away. All objections and ideas should be heard. It might be that in the end they work out a way to fund care homes and further medical centres for the old fellas there.

I can assure you if the Gurkha chaps there did fall foul of getting some racial abuse by the locals I would be right behind you in calling it a disgrace, but don't think this is the case here.

Apart from the guy who said he didn't like them in the park.

Archived