Should children be allowed to take part in cage fights ?

The reporting in that video is what I was getting at in my last post... "cage fighting" "mma" "mixed martial arts" all terms used to make something sound dangerous/vicious whereas what the kids were doing didn't look anything other than lively wrestling... even in the video the reported mentioned in passing that no striking was permitted.

Shame to see a BBC reporter creating such a sensationalist story.

I agree. This was a couple of kids having a wrestling match. If it had been in a traditional ring or on mats then nothing would have been said. It was no worse than i did at that age and certainly no worse than what i did at Thai boxing and regular boxing when i was older.

I cannot seem to find the video where children are 'cage fighting' any link to it? I can see one where there's some grappling and wrestling going on, is this the one?

Having said that perhaps having them fight on the card of an actual MMA card is a little debatable

Apart from stuff like Hell in a Cell cage matches on WWE et al, Cage matches should be banned full stop IMO, they're VERY dangerous to both competitors.

I seem to remember seeing something that says sports like boxing are far more dangerous due to the general idea of hitting the other guy in the head as much as possible to get a KO and the length of time this can go on for.

These go on in MMA but then there are other options such as getting a sub in order to win. Far less hits to the head. It's not uncommon for the entire 3 rounds to go on with very few strikes to the head.

most people who have commented have actually no idea what went on or have even see a real mma fight.

These kids were not allowed to strike at all. all they could do was try to pin the other for a few seconds. The same as us kids are taught in school from an early age.

This stuff goes on every weekend at grappling comps all over the world.

This is just the way the media have decided to portray the sport

Alchresearch: I think the vital point we're missing is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC

The two eight-year-old boys were filmed fighting at a Labour club in Preston.

/political_dig

Had the Labour Party spoken out against boxing per se and said it should be more heavily regulated or banned, you can imagine the swivel eyed mouth frothers of the right banging on about the 'nanny state', 'politically correct Labour' or 'boxing teaching working class kids discipline' (never middle class or upper class kids discipline though).

Archived