Where's my Meerkat!!

You do realise they're selling on ebay for £100?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vassily-Compare-Meerkat-Market-Meerkat-Toy-Meerkovo-Certificate-BNIB-/180724861019?pt=UK_Toys_Creative_Educational_RL&hash=item2a140a885b

Mine turned up this week. My policy started at the beginning of August. It's going straight on eBay.

There are some really dumb people out there, that's all I can say.

Just had a quick look on ebay - they seem to be fetching for around the £30 mark, that one at £119 will be lucky to sell at that price.

Saw a couple go for £80 - £100 over the last few weeks, but still £30 is better than £0. It'd just end up sat in my spare room, I'd walk in once every few days, chuckle at it, then after a few weeks I'd be bored of it. Might as well make some cash out of it. £30 is a night in the pub! :)

There are lots of collectors out there and some of these Meerkats are really quite rare.

It's worth whatever you're prepared to pay for something. You'd not believe the prices some of the Moshi Monsters items are going for, or any of the kid's crazes.

Saw a couple go for £80 - £100 over the last few weeks, but still £30 is better than £0. It'd just end up sat in my spare room, I'd walk in once every few days, chuckle at it, then after a few weeks I'd be bored of it. Might as well make some cash out of it. £30 is a night in the pub! :)

Too right!

If my little boy isn't bothered about it when it arrives, I might just do the same and then he can have the money to do what he likes with.

Would that be the people that are influenced by a free toy when buying insurance or the ones buying them on Ebay?

The latter clearly, as all the "compare" sites (confused.com etc) gave me the same quotes for the same insurers. It was a straight choice. Go with, for example, confused.com and pay £200 for my house insurance, or go with CTM and pay £200 for my house insurance, but get a free toy that I can then sell for say £50.

Bit of a no brainer really.

And before you ask, yes I shopped round first before making that decision.

The latter clearly, as all the "compare" sites (confused.com etc) gave me the same quotes for the same insurers. It was a straight choice. Go with, for example, confused.com and pay £200 for my house insurance, or go with CTM and pay £200 for my house insurance, but get a free toy that I can then sell for say £50.

Bit of a no brainer really.

And before you ask, yes I shopped round first before making that decision.

There will also be a good number of people who sign up with Compare The Market solely because they get a Meerkat doll. These are invariably the same people who vote on X-Factor but not the general election.

We live in a country full of cretins.

There will also be a good number of people who sign up with Compare The Market solely because they get a Meerkat doll. These are invariably the same people who vote on X-Factor but not the general election.

We live in a country full of cretins.

As I sell plush toys for a living, I can absolutely tell you there's a definite buzz about the Meerkats and that this post is absolutely spot on.

While a few genuine collectors are purchasing, most true collectors see them as a fad and not worth picking up.

But the ones buying are the Britain's Got Talent lot :)

Edit: I don't want to cast aspersions on any one. That absolutely wasn't my intention. I'm just saying the toys are designed to appeal and the marketing is really working :)

Archived