Another Solar panel company turned us down!

How much does a windy-mill cost to build? Compared to a gas powered station? and then factor in the cost of the gas versus the cost of wind :)...it doesn't make sense....

A single windmill is comparatively cheap, but in order to match the production capacity of a gas turbine I expect the economics look very different.

There's the bigger issue of course that the wind often stops blowing or blows too hard, which means that we always need enough gas/coal/nuclear power to supply the peak baseline (ie during a cold snap with no wind in the winter)...

As the contract lasts for 25 years from a free supplier does anyone know what happens if one of these suppliers goes bankrupt within that time?

Can the official receiver claim them back and sell them to pay off the debtors?

As the contract lasts for 25 years from a free supplier does anyone know what happens if one of these suppliers goes bankrupt within that time?

Can the official receiver claim them back and sell them to pay off the debtors?

i would imagine they would be sold as an asset to anybody interested in buying them and they would get the income from them.

some of the contacts have a right to buy clause in them so you can at any point in the future buy the panels.

• 4 months later...
A single windmill is comparatively cheap, but in order to match the production capacity of a gas turbine I expect the economics look very different.

There's the bigger issue of course that the wind often stops blowing or blows too hard, which means that we always need enough gas/coal/nuclear power to supply the peak baseline (ie during a cold snap with no wind in the winter)...

Costs of wind power have come down recently, it's now cheaper than coal & gas. There's the upfront cost of building & installing the wind turbines (which has come down), but the ongoing costs are very low. You do need a lot of wind turbines to equal the power output of a conventional power station.

The main problem, as you say, is we need double the generation capacity for when the wind doesn't blow. We need inefficient gas turbines that can be started & stopped quickly to compensate.

...The main problem, as you say, is we need double the generation capacity for when the wind doesn't blow. We need inefficient gas turbines that can be started & stopped quickly to compensate.

I think you'd probably be better off with efficient gas turbines, but which ever type you select, you are going to have to pay people to maintain and operate them - and you won't be able to get away with paying only when the wind doesn't blow.

I think you'd probably be better off with efficient gas turbines, but which ever type you select, you are going to have to pay people to maintain and operate them - and you won't be able to get away with paying only when the wind doesn't blow.

More efficient gas turbines tend to be bigger & harder to start/stop, so they're less suitable for backing up wind power.

You have to pay people to maintain & operate them even if they're not in use, because you never really know when the wind is going to stop blowing. You're going to have to pay to build them in the first place too. The only saving is a bit of fuel when the wind is blowing at the right speed.

Archived