People vanishing from cruise ships. Where are they all going?

165 people have simply vanished from cruise ships since 1995. There have been 13 people so far this year alone.

The obvious answer would be that they have fallen overboard but i find it a bit strange that no one witnesses these people falling overboard :suspect:

Does anyone have any other information or theory as to what is happening to people?

how bizzare....surely these people were travelling with someone else who would have reported something, people can go missing in countries, but a ship :huh:

Tonys explanation is the most plausible I think

or did they actually board the ship in the first place :confused:

Do they not have methods of control i.e. someone checking who disembarks and boards at each port? Pardon my ignorance, I've never been on a cruise before, but was under the impression that there would be some form of log for all movements on and off the ship.

You'd have thought so, but I've been on a plane a couple of times when there's had to be a "recount" several times due to a **** up, and there's only one chuffin door!

I suspect a few people elect to vanish too. That must be easier with a large ship with lots of nooks and crannys hide in, plus numerous exit options.

Alternatively (and more simply) people walk off the ship during a port stop and don't get back on again for their own reasons.

Thats what I thought.

I used to work in the backpacker industry in Australia, and the amount of people who 'forgot' to go home to various places (mainly the UK) was amazing.

I know of more that a handful that actually went as far as booking tickets home, getting to the boarding gate, then turning around and coming back out, as one person said 'to throw customs off track' lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people who 'vanish' from cruise ships are now living it up on some little island where the sun shines most of the year and feeling guilty once a year when they remember they never returned their blockbuster dvds.

May also include people emulating Lord Lucan, John Stonehouse, Reginald Perrin, etc.

Lord Lucan is an open water dive instructor on the barrier reef

John Stonehouse runs a bar with Elvis and

Reginald Perrin runs the black market tobacco (chop chop)trade in Alice Springs.

Do they not have methods of control i.e. someone checking who disembarks and boards at each port? Pardon my ignorance, I've never been on a cruise before, but was under the impression that there would be some form of log for all movements on and off the ship.

Sort of but not really. Everyone has a card on board and in theory it's scanned as you walk off but in my limited experience could avoid it without to much effort. Obviously, ships security are really interested in who gets on - you do need your card to get back on.

Archived