When I was a smoker

grinder

Started smoking mid 50s when I was thirteen, then quit cold turkey 1978 when I was 35. Haven't touched one since. Started on Park Drive then moved on to Embassy Tip. They used to include blue coupons in their packages and if you saved up enough coupons you could claim a gift such as a wallet. To qualify for a bicycle you'd literally have to smoke yourself to death. :gag:

Hi Rog :wave: you must be the same age as me, I started smoking when I started worked ( late 50s) back then nobody knew the dangers of tobacco. Anyway at lunchtimes me and this lad who I worked with would go and buy 5 Parkdrive. Then we shared, two and half ciggy's each. :hihi: I daren't mention his name because on the Parson Cross thread he's been mentioned several times and everybody hated him. Never did get addicted and stopped nearly as soon as I started, thank goodness! :)

Can't remember the brand of the one I tried at 7, I think it may have been Mayfair. At 13 I bought a sleeve of Mayfair, with the intention of selling them.

I'm currently smoking blue ridge on the pipe and I lament that UK DUTY PAID many times a day!

Started smoking mid 50s when I was thirteen, then quit cold turkey 1978 when I was 35. Haven't touched one since. Started on Park Drive then moved on to Embassy Tip. They used to include blue coupons in their packages and if you saved up enough coupons you could claim a gift such as a wallet. To qualify for a bicycle you'd literally have to smoke yourself to death. :gag:

Ah, Embassy coupons. ;) My mum and I saved them up, and I eventually got a hairdryer! I smoked from being about 16 in the early 60s (anyone remember Nelsons?) until I was almost 50. By then I'd been on Benson & Hedges for years. Been stopped 15 years and wouldn't touch a cig now. :gag:

Apart from the damage they do to our health (I've got a dodgy lung which may or may not be smoking related) the cost is prohibitive. I'm enjoying my retirement, but I'd be a lot poorer (around £40+ a week) if I was still buying cigs.

Ah, Embassy coupons. ;) My mum and I saved them up, and I eventually got a hairdryer! I smoked from being about 16 in the early 60s (anyone remember Nelsons?) until I was almost 50. By then I'd been on Benson & Hedges for years. Been stopped 15 years and wouldn't touch a cig now. :gag:

Apart from the damage they do to our health (I've got a dodgy lung which may or may not be smoking related) the cost is prohibitive. I'm enjoying my retirement, but I'd be a lot poorer (around £40+ a week) if I was still buying cigs.

I recall my granddad smoking superkings black and getting coupons, we'd visit, and he would tell us we could pick anything we wanted out of the catalogue, he used to smoke 60 a day. He eventually quit by reducing the amount he smoked at a rate of 1/day per week. A few weeks after getting down to 0 he was dead.

Number six I started on, Tried everything else since (I worked for a tobacco firm in Surrey for 25 years) ended up on 30 Bensons a day until 4 years ago, My two eldest Grandsons kept coming home from school and saying that they didn't want me to die cus I smoked, So I went to the docs and explained I wanted to give up, He put me on the patches (on perscription, cheaper that way) And I've never wanted one since, But I still like the smell of ciggies, JP

Archived