Council trying to evict English couple who live in a shed due to low wages.

Job security?

The males job/income wasn't mentioned.

It is his income, and his income alone that should be considered as she is likely to stop working to raise a child.

You really need to read your own links..

"They had hoped to save around £20,000 for a deposit on a house within around five years. Miss Campbell makes £7.80 an hour in her job and Mr Warden is a £20,000 a year senior care assistant at a private home."

They may not want kids..Does anyone stay in the same job for 25 years these days...most people move around through career advancement and their own choice..

£99999 house, 10k deposit, 90% mortgage. Income required 30k.

Job security required, 25 years + of job security.

To afford these homes you have to be some of the best paid people in South Yorkshire, an area where the average wage is under £20k.

Why do you think house prices are falling...

There are houses available in Rotherham from 70k and up... But lets just have a look at 100k with a 10% deposit as you say.

http://www.moneyextra.com/mortgages/calculators/how-much-could-i-borrow.php

90k required, this says that you need a couple earning 30k between them... 15k each. Hardly some of the best paid people in South Yorkshire now. Not massively above minimum wage to be honest are they! £7.20/hr if they work full time.

http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/State=England%3a_South_Yorkshire/Salary/by_City

Median salary in Sheffield £24,191

You like to paint this awfully bleak picture and for some reason blame it all on landlords... But your figures just don't stack up.

Job security is a complete red herring, some jobs are more secure than others, but it's recommended that you take out PPI with a mortgage and if you're worried about your job then clearly it's a good idea.

You really need to read your own links..

"They had hoped to save around £20,000 for a deposit on a house within around five years. Miss Campbell makes £7.80 an hour in her job and Mr Warden is a £20,000 a year senior care assistant at a private home."

They may not want kids..Does anyone stay in the same job for 25 years these days...most people move around through career advancement and their own choice..

Blimey, I must get my eyesight checked.

Whats the problem with this shed anyway? Just the no running water? They just need to install a shower in a corner, that should sort it. Cheaper than buying a house!

Aye, it seems to be the case that everyone wants you take out a mortgage and get yourself into debt. Personally it's not something I'd be prepared to do unless I had job security for the full term of any mortgage. I'm not too fussed about buying a property anyhow, I'd rather see plenty of affordable council housing for rent, then you have the ability to move for work etc.

When depositing money at the building society, one of the staff asked if I was interested in getting a mortgage, I said, 'God no!' and she looked at me gone out. A few weeks after the building society went into offering B2L mortgages, so I withdrew all my money.

:D .... To be honest I don't think these two are in a bad position..over 30k income.. both working...lots are worse off...

I'd disregard the womans income personally, as she'll most likely become a housewife.

But £20k ain't too bad. They could buy a 3bed semi for £60k in an ok area in a few years.

That said though, what is wrong with living in a shed? Far superior to an HMO, you have your own privacy, and that is what is important.

Aye, it seems to be the case that everyone wants you take out a mortgage and get yourself into debt.

You're the one complaining about how rent is theft. Now you don't want to buy a house either. I suppose the state should provide them for everyone and they should be paid for out of the magic money pot.

Personally it's not something I'd be prepared to do unless I had job security for the full term of any mortgage.
Nobody has ever been able to make such a claim.
I'm not too fussed about buying a property anyhow, I'd rather see plenty of affordable council housing for rent, then you have the ability to move for work etc.

When depositing money at the building society, one of the staff asked if I was interested in getting a mortgage, I said, 'God no!' and she looked at me gone out. A few weeks after the building society went into offering B2L mortgages, so I withdrew all my money.

I'm sure that showed them.

I'd disregard the womans income personally, as she'll most likely become a housewife.

How very modern of you.

But £20k ain't too bad. They could buy a 3bed semi for £60k in an ok area in a few years.

That said though, what is wrong with living in a shed? Far superior to an HMO, you have your own privacy, and that is what is important.

The planning issues are the problem.

When we got our first house we used my wife's income as well as mine to get the mortgage..when she finished work to have our kids my salary had increased enough to enable us to cover the costs..maybe we planned it wrong eh?

Archived