Council trying to evict English couple who live in a shed due to low wages.

My friends used to live in what may as well have been a shed, in those units that have been converted to flats just off City Road, behind the old Dover Court doctors surgery, at the top of Granville Road.

The living room was just big enough for a 2 seater settee (not wide enough for a 3 seater) and a TV in front of it. There was a small cupboard with a toilet, kitchen was about 5ftx5ft and the bedroom, was just big enough for a double bed, and had a shower enclosure stuck in the corner. And it was £350 per month about 4 years ago!

Who are there trying to kid...Thats NO SHED, it's more like a Chalet like the one's you see at the coast.

I like many more of you out there, have got a shed, yet mind has not got plastered wall's, raised flower bed's flanking a path-way leading to the door, even the windows and door look's like double glazing (I may be wrong).

Who are there trying to kid...Thats NO SHED, it's more like a Chalet like the one's you see at the coast.

I like many more of you out there, have got a shed, yet mind has not got plastered wall's, raised flower bed's flanking a path-way leading to the door, even the windows and door look's like double glazing (I may be wrong).

But they forgot to install an outside hose pipe tap to their chalet shed. Fatal mistake.

£99999 house, 10k deposit, 90% mortgage. Income required 30k.

Job security required, 25 years + of job security.

To afford these homes you have to be some of the best paid people in South Yorkshire, an area where the average wage is under £20k.

Why do you think house prices are falling...

I did say sub £100K to be fair. There are quite alot around which are cheaper.

The idea behind the property ladder, is that most people will enter it as far up as they can, and as their circumstances change, move up. (In whatever form that may be, area, size or both.)

The reality is that there is a slight tendency (I personally suspect) these days for some people wanting to skip the lower end of the ladder for one reason or another. Which is fair enough to a point and understandable, but it doesn't translate into there being no affordable housing.

Alternatives include social housing, which is fine and necessary, but costs the tax payer money to build. I fully accept the need for it, and have no objection to it at all. Except when there is a percieved "need" from people who are in full employment and can in reality afford to either buy a house or rent in the private sector, but basically just don't want to. :)

Is there really an expectation of skipping part of the property ladder? If so, has it just come out of the 2000 - 2007 money fest where banks and building societies would give huge amounts to anyone that asked?

I think people want to jump on about 3 rungs up...

Is there really an expectation of skipping part of the property ladder? If so, has it just come out of the 2000 - 2007 money fest where banks and building societies would give huge amounts to anyone that asked?

I'm not saying there is specifically in the shed couple case, I'm talking more generally.

From personal experience, I have one aquaintance who won't buy a house because, and I quote, they "can't find anything we like for under half a million"!! They were well able to buy a house of a reasonable size in a reasonable area, but just couldn't see this as a reasonable option.

Another couple at work had a daughter in her early 20's, with a decent income. The couple were beginning to despair of her a little, as she just wouldn't consider anything less that a 3 bed semi with garage, in a good area, which needed no work doing. She could well afford a house, but didn't want to build up to what she really wanted. Again, if she were to be interviewed for a news piece on TV, she would be quoted as "a young woman, struggling to get onto the property ladder", which is just untrue.

Both of these examples wouldn't not have required a bonkers mortgage deal

Of course there are many who can't get on the ladder genuinely and cannot afford the private sector, which is why we should have decent social housing for those in need.

I'm not saying there is specifically in the shed couple case, I'm talking more generally.

From personal experience, I have one aquaintance who won't buy a house because, and I quote, they "can't find anything we like for under half a million"!! They were well able to buy a house of a reasonable size in a reasonable area, but just couldn't see this as a reasonable option.

Another couple at work had a daughter in her early 20's, with a decent income. The couple were beginning to despair of her a little, as she just wouldn't consider anything less that a 3 bed semi with garage, in a good area, which needed no work doing. She could well afford a house, but didn't want to build up to what she really wanted. Again, if she were to be interviewed for a news piece on TV, she would be quoted as "a young woman, struggling to get onto the property ladder", which is just untrue.

Both of these examples wouldn't not have required a bonkers mortgage deal

Of course there are many who can't get on the ladder genuinely and cannot afford the private sector, which is why we should have decent social housing for those in need.

I think a lot of it is down to the "I want it now" culture we seem to have evolved...

Archived