Starter Motor problem on a vectra

That sounds like the starter motor is jamming so whilst some-one turns the key so you can hear the ticking noise get some-one else with a length of wood placed against the starter motor and then tap the wood with a hammer. That may free it up so the car will start but you'll probably need to swap the starter motor, I assume a scrapyard could probably supply one.

You could take the starter off and test it by wiring it to the spare battery he has with the jump leads, but be careful, they have one hell of a kick. :hihi:

My mate won't do that! He thinks vectras are now the devil incarnate!

The mechanic from a dubious garage, said he needed a new engine. But the engine ran OK, till it wouldn't start??

It's unlikely to be the engine, lol, they don't just stop working, you usually get a major sign something is wrong if the engine goes, ie oil all over the floor.

Get the starter motor tested, that's probably the cause, though it could be one or two other things.

That sounds like the starter motor is jamming so whilst some-one turns the key so you can hear the ticking noise get some-one else with a length of wood placed against the starter motor and then tap the wood with a hammer. That may free it up so the car will start but you'll probably need to swap the starter motor, I assume a scrapyard could probably supply one.

Thank you. We tried hitting the hell ot of it. And he broke the piece of wood.

He just phoned me, and has given up. I told him, it's a good car!! What should I tell him??

Archived