The Speed of light

Hi

Simple facts. Get into a machine that ravels fater than light, you start going back into time. However, to travel into the future, this is not possible as we are the future.

actually you can travel further into the future relative to others simply by traveling a lot faster than them according to relativity.

The neutrinos have not been sent across the surface; they go in a straight line directly through the Earth's solid body. Possibly the distance of that straight line has been overestimated by a small fraction of an inch; I would have thought that's one of the first things they would check, though.

It is possible that something unforeseen inside the Earth is causing the effect, but what we know of neutrinos so far - which has never been all that much - is that they move through matter just the same as they move through vacuum, without even slowing down. It's certainly hard to think of anything that might exist inside the Earth's crust which would cause them to speed up, but I'm sure that better minds than ours will be thinking about it.

Things that will muddy the water...:-) speed of light in vacuo is the absolute limit, but the beam isn't travelling in vacuum. How big an effect will that have on the neutrino beam?

We don't know a neutrino mass - we know they have mass as they can undergo flavour transformations, and we know an upper energy limit of 0.3eV, so we know the maximum mass. But we don't know the minimum, so they could be going faster than expected... the Standard model works well with massless neutrinos, that they have mass is an aberration. Mind you the SM has the Higgs boson, and the LHC is doing a good job now of proving the Higgs isn't where we thought :-)

Is it worth going into how it has been explained that it is in fact correct?.
No no no no no it is not correct its a mistake. Sure there's a really dodgy post-facto rationalisation that doesn't wash in one of the crappy EU novels. But that's a load of crap, and everyone knows it. It was clearly a mistake, check the novelisation of new hope, where they changed the line to 'make the Kessel run in less than 12 standard time units', having realised their mistake. It was a single throw away line in the film to establish Han Solo as boastful and arrogant, it really didn't warrant entire novels being written to justify the writer's mistake, it has charm when its a mistake.

Things that will muddy the water...:-) speed of light in vacuo is the absolute limit, but the beam isn't travelling in vacuum. How big an effect will that have on the neutrino beam?

I'm assuming that the apparent speed recorded by the neutrinos exceeds the speed of light in a vacuum. I can't believe that a group of professional scientists would miss something so obvious that even I thought of it within seconds.

I don't know if anyone has accurately measured the speed of light through the solid mass of the Earth - since, after all, light does not penetrate through it!

Archived