The Speed of light

Could anyone explain to a simpleton who managed a grade 5 cse in physics (and still doesn't know how), in words he might have a chance of understanding, how the speed of light is determined (in other words, how do we know how fast it goes?)

I read somewhere (on the BBC I think) that it was something to do with the theory of relativity - if so, isn't a theory, by it's very definition, unproven?

Gallileo first tried to measure it by setting up lanterns on nearby hills, and tried (in vain) to measure how long it took from one fella opening the lantern, and him seeing it, and then opening his latern.

However it's much easier these days with satelites and space travel. Basically, the longer the distance the more accurate the measurement is.

Here's the tail end of an article about it.....In the years that followed, as better equipment and techniques were developed, many other people were able to measure the speed of light more accurately. With the resources of today's technology, we can measure it to an incredibly high precision. For instance, astronauts have attached a mirror to a rock on the moon; scientists on earth can aim a laser at this mirror and measure the travel time of the laser pulse--about two and a half seconds for the round trip. (The idea behind this experiment is not so different from Galileo's, if you think about it...) And anyone who measures the speed of light, at any time, using any method, always gets the same result: just slightly less than 300,000 kilometers per second.

Could anyone explain to a simpleton who managed a grade 5 cse in physics (and still doesn't know how), in words he might have a chance of understanding, how the speed of light is determined (in other words, how do we know how fast it goes?)

I read somewhere (on the BBC I think) that it was something to do with the theory of relativity - if so, isn't a theory, by it's very definition, unproven?

I don't think you quite understand what is meant by theory in a scientific context. Maybe you should read this.

http://badphysics.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/just-a-theory/

jb

Thank you for all of those - I learnt more in the last 5 minutes than I did in a full school year of Physics lessons - anyone know where I can get a cheap laser and a stopwatch? (I once bought a "laser" at Ingoldmells market, but I don't think it would have reached the moon)

So why was it concluded that nothing can travel faster than light?

Thank you for all of those - I learnt more in the last 5 minutes than I did in a full school year of Physics lessons - anyone know where I can get a cheap laser and a stopwatch? (I once bought a "laser" at Ingoldmells market, but I don't think it would have reached the moon)

So why was it concluded that nothing can travel faster than light?

That's the scientific theory that's just been brought into question. Einstein theorised that you would require an infinite amount of energy in order to travel beyond the speed of light. This new discovery brings into question that theory. (the theory of relativity, and special relativity)

A good way is to bounce a laser off the moon and measure how long it takes to return. (1/2 a million miles)

John X

Erm ... I think your experiment may prove a tad inaccurate as the average distance from the Earth to the Moon is 233,900 miles. :)

Archived