People Hating Staffys

CompSpud

I know what you mean medusa. But isnt there ANYthing at all we can do? Im getting abit bored of people with the staffy hating in every post.

Unfortunately Medusa is right, all that we can do as mods is stop personal attacks on people and various other things, but we cannot stop people having opinions or sometimes fears about types of dogs, its a shame that people sometimes become so aggressively opinionated that we eventually have to close the threads.

Everyone feels kind of "hurt" to see the breed of dog that they especially love slated especially when they feel that its uncalled for...staffy bashing threads get on a lot of peoples nerves, but speaking for myself if I banned every topic that got on my nerves on this forum it would probably be dead in ooh about 24hrs :hihi:

Ha, Good point. But still. When people post they shouldnt always blame the dog before either knowing who the owners are or.. What upbringing the dogs has had

No they shouldn't but we're all guilty of being a little stereotypical at times aren't we??? It's human nature.

You're right though. If they have an owner who loves them and treats them well, they're unlikely to devlop the aggressive nature that some do display. I would pretty much imagine that this is true of any dog regardless of the breed. Like I say, Staffys unfortunately do seem to be the dog of choice for wrong 'uns.

To be honest, there's very little that we can do to change people's opinions. They hold them for what they consider to be good reasons and challenging them only seems to get people's backs up.

If I were you I'd just stop reading that sort of comment- you know that your dog is a lovely dog but if others aren't going to listen to you then is there any point in trying to convince them of that?

Staffs are not my sort of dog, but that doesn't mean that I hate them or instinctively distrust them, any more than I hate or distrust any other breed. Individual dogs yes, whole breeds tarred with one pass of the brush, no.

Have to agree with this.

I'm actually past the point of caring. People are prejudiced. It's not news.

I love Saffies and do voluntary work for a rescue we have a number of staffies in needing homes and all are beautiful love people and get on with other dogs it is not there fault that stupid and uneducated about the breed people keep breeding and having no were for the dogs to go or them getting into the wrong hands give them a break any breed of dog can be nasty its the way there brought up.DONT BLAME THE DOG BLAME THE OWNER.

I love Saffies and do voluntary work for a rescue we have a number of staffies in needing homes and all are beautiful love people and get on with other dogs it is not there fault that stupid and uneducated about the breed people keep breeding and having no were for the dogs to go or them getting into the wrong hands give them a break any breed of dog can be nasty its the way there brought up.DONT BLAME THE DOG BLAME THE OWNER.

Has anyone ever considered that the people who don't like the breed have only ever had experience with staffies with bad owners?

I really don't want to get close enough to them to find out if their owner is a good one, or if it will run off with my dog in its mouth. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

On the flip side, whenever there is a thread about an attack by a staffy, the staffy lovers immediately jump in about how great staffies are even when no one has said anything against them, just describing what kind of a dog was involved (usually for ID purposes as often the owner legs it), that often just sparks off the debate then.

I don't really like dogs (or cats!) that don't look like something nature might have come up with... those ones with too much skin, ones that have great manky flopping drooly jowls, ones that look like they ran into the back end of a bus face first, ones where their eyes are all droopy and you can see all the red inside, ones that seem to be missing half their legs etc. Yuk.

Don't mind staffies though.

It is the owner who treats staffs bad and makes them aggressive. Staffs are very needy and want cuddles 247! I love mine to death and she is great around children!

I think a lot of people who haven't owned a staff don't like them as they don't 'look' like the friendliest of dogs, they have huge wide mouths and a stance that looks intimidating but most (who arn't owned by scumbags) are as soft as a teddy!

Scum bags reward them for biting things and if you start to bring out aggression you can't get them to be nice again. As my vet says you can't make a staffy to be a nasty guard dog and expect cuddles and softness from it, it's one or the other, same with most high energy dogs.

On the flip side, whenever there is a thread about an attack by a staffy, the staffy lovers immediately jump in about how great staffies are even when no one has said anything against them, just describing what kind of a dog was involved (usually for ID purposes as often the owner legs it), that often just sparks off the debate then.

I don't really like dogs (or cats!) that don't look like something nature might have come up with... those ones with too much skin, ones that have great manky flopping drooly jowls, ones that look like they ran into the back end of a bus face first, ones where their eyes are all droopy and you can see all the red inside, ones that seem to be missing half their legs etc. Yuk.

Don't mind staffies though.

OMG, you are talking about dachshunds! I have dachshunds and they are wonderful pets and great companions. I just cant believe how you can't just love them as much as me. You must be horrible and narrow minded. They are soft as brushes and I'm sure that if I can just force them upon you, you will love them as much as I do. :hihi:

lovers immediately jump in about how great staffies are even when no one has said anything against them, just describing what kind of a dog

I actually don't mind Staffies. I wouldn't have one by choice, but that's just because it wouldn't suit my lifestyle (working). However my biggest fear are Chihuahua's. Yep, small cute and loveable. But it's the only dog I've ever come across that's bitten me and drawn blood! And the owner was holding it, at the time!!!

So hating a particular breed of dog is just a case of relative perception. Your own experience of that particular breed! Each to their own eh?

Archived