Is there anyone left on here that defends this Government?

do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?

• yes i support the governments plans to repay the debt
    • no i do not support the governments plan to repay the debt
    • i dont care at all.

Economic growth- More people have money to spend - Economic Growth has nothing to do with the money people have to spend and if you think that is the case, I suggest you upgrade from reading Economics explained by the teletubbies.

Unemployment- People won't be able to enter mortgage agreements without a job -

correct, they wont be able to do a lot of things, but how does this make much difference now as unemployment figures are 1% different between Labour and the current government.

Interest rates- Been low for a long time now, I remembr the 15% under the last Tory government -

Are you predicting the future here or assuming one government will do what another did some 10-15 years ago? Shall we judge the Labour party on the winter of discontent?

Consumer and market confidence that the economy will do well

Demographics- Good schools, Hospitals, Public Services -

Labour didnt pay for these, they sold them using PFI, the same PFI that saw deals where our own Inland Revenue's buildings were sold to a company located in a a tax haven! All under Labour.

Very good, next you'll be telling me that houses will cost more when the economy is screwed and unemployment is high.

The overwhelming factor in the cost of housing is supply and demand. Labour failed to help with the supply and so demand increased creating a false housing bubble. Something they claimed they had banished to history.

Supply and demand is created by what then?

The UK economy was in surplus at the time Labour took charge. It took them less than a year to turn that into a deficit which they hid from the population until it was too late. Blair knew the writing was on the wall and scarpered leaving Brown, the architect of the spending and deceit to take the wrap.

In fact here's an even better one for you to comment on.

Would you like to share with the forum the comparable figures for the uk since 1992 to 2007, break it down nicely into Tory years and Labour years.

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/10395-public-deficit-by-country.html#axzz1VZQBVP9j

More people wanting to buy houses, no more houses being built?

And people are more inclined to buy a house when they feel secure in their financial situation, and builders less likely to build when they have no confidence in the economy.

In fact here's an even better one for you to comment on.

Would you like to share with the forum the comparable figures for the uk since 1992 to 2007, break it down nicely into Tory years and Labour years.

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/10395-public-deficit-by-country.html#axzz1VZQBVP9j

Why choose 2007? I thought that the Labour government went on to 2010, or doesn't the Brown administration count as a Labour government>

And people are more inclined to buy a house when they feel secure in their financial situation, and builders less likely to build when they have no confidence in the economy.

Or maybe the demand was driven by the growing population combined with other sociological factors like people marrying later in life?

Why choose 2007? I thought that the Labour government went on to 2010, or doesn't the Brown administration count as a Labour government>

Simply because some people on here like people to think that the Golbal Financial mess was the fault of the Labour Government.

Simply because some people on here like people to think that the Golbal Financial mess was the fault of the Labour Government.

I don't really think that people believe that, what they do believe is that the government of the day should be accountable for how they manage the economy. Like having a deficit leading into the downturn, like building economic growth upon cheap credit.

Perhaps people also remember that Labour claimed to put an end to boom and bust.

Nobody believes that, but plenty of people believe that Labour carried on spending money they didn't have (in their usual drive to buy votes from certain social groups among other things).

We shouldn't be surprised - it's what Labour have done every time they've gained power.

Archived