Is there anyone left on here that defends this Government?

do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?

• yes i support the governments plans to repay the debt
    • no i do not support the governments plan to repay the debt
    • i dont care at all.

As opposed to Crash Gordon's pension raids?

Brown's raid on pensions costs Britain £100 billion

Revealed: How Gordon Brown has cost you £100,000

Brown's tax raid on pensions

I don't defend the current government but the idea that Ed, Ed and Harperson would be any improvement is clearly ludicrous to anyone with a functioning memory.

If the above problems are entirely the fault of the current government, how were they predicted in advance?

Millions face four-year fall in standard of living [dated July 2010]

Inflation ‘likely’ to stay high in 2011 says Bank of England [dated November 2010]

Energy price hikes set to push inflation further above target [dated April 2010]

Families warned by Bank of England of even more painful year ahead [dated December 2010]

One in ten jobless in 2011 as unemployment to soar to 17-year high [dated December 2010]

So no real surprises for anyone who isn't a completely clueless muppet.

But you keep on posting your unsubstantiated nonsense old bean, I'll keep posting the facts (and links) that contradict what you say.

Ok a simple question for someone who likes facts.

Between 1980 and today we've had periods of Labour Governments and periods of the wretched in charge.

On the following three key areas what is the average comparison.

Economic Growth Labour v Tory

Budget deficit Labour v Tory

Unemploymnet levels Labour v Tory

You claim to like facts, kindly share with us all the average levels whilst the respective parties were in power.

Ok a simple question for someone who likes facts.

Between 1980 and today we've had periods of Labour Governments and periods of the wretched in charge.

On the following three key areas what is the average comparison.

Economic Growth Labour v Tory

Budget deficit Labour v Tory

Unemploymnet levels Labour v Tory

You claim to like facts, kindly share with us all the average levels whilst the respective parties were in power.

I dont have figures to hand right now, but what I will say is this, the Tories tend to do the thankless, unsexy job of getting the countries books in order, then when they do Labour get voted in, go ape ****, then the Tories are put back in to pick up the pieces again, and round and round in circles it goes.

I dont have figures to hand right now, but what I will say is this, the Tories tend to do the thankless, unsexy job of getting the countries books in order, then when they do Labour get voted in, go ape ****, then the Tories are put back in to pick up the pieces again, and round and round in circles it goes.
That's pretty much how it goes.

What some people don't understand (or just refuse to open their eyes to and accept) is that there is significant momentum in a national economy, and the outcome of governmental policy often requires several years to take effect.

That's why the last Labour government had it so good during its first few years - it was living off the back of sound Conservative governance, and that's why this government still has many months of pain to get through before we see some light down the tunnel - they were left with a mess that needs years to fix. How even the simple-minded can fail to see this and blame the present incumbents is saddening.

What some people don't understand [...] is that there is significant momentum in a national economy, and the outcome of governmental policy often requires several years to take effect.

So the disasters of the early 90s can only be a fault of the conservatives?

I feel that placing all economic blame on government is silly, because essentially they are only part of the system. The current troubles are caused by a US housing bubble. Blair/Brown had their faults of course, but the same problems would've occured under other governments.

So the disasters of the early 90s can only be a fault of the conservatives?

I feel that placing all economic blame on government is silly, because essentially they are only part of the system. The current troubles are caused by a US housing bubble. Blair/Brown had their faults of course, but the same problems would've occured under other governments.

Do you believe that the problems been the same if the previous government didn't rely upon cheap credit and the financial services to grow our economy? It would have been bit more helpful if the previous government didn't go into the recession running a deficit.

Do you believe that the problems been the same if the previous government didn't rely upon cheap credit and the financial services to grow our economy?

I don't want to defend Labour, I've not voted for them since before Iraq, but most governments are in the pocket of the financial sector. It is hugely powerful because our industry has been vastly weakened. Deficit is a perfectly natural way to run government, because capitalism exists on money bouncing around a system. Major borrowed massively towards the end of his term in power.

The situation with American debt is very similiar at the minute, because Obama is dealing with the problems that came with Bush borrowing money. Obama has no growth though, so has no way of paying his way out of debt.

I don't want to defend Labour, I've not voted for them since before Iraq, but most governments are in the pocket of the financial sector. It is hugely powerful because our industry has been vastly weakened. Deficit is a perfectly natural way to run government, because capitalism exists on money bouncing around a system. Major borrowed massively towards the end of his term in power.

The situation with American debt is very similiar at the minute, because Obama is dealing with the problems that came with Bush borrowing money. Obama has no growth though, so has no way of paying his way out of debt.

I believe that you're mistaken that Major borrowed massively towards the end of his stay in power, he was heading towards a position where the books where being balanced. The point is during a boom you create a surplus, so during the down turn you've then got the money to help the economy.

The Labour government couldn't do this as their mantra was, putting an end to boom and bust. So how could they ever justify running a surplus?

I may have not made my point about the economy being reliant on the cheep credit and the financial sectors taxes clear enough. It was a good thing to have a sector of our economy in such a good shape, providing jobs and bringing in high tax returns; this country also needs this sector to regain it's strength.

But, the government should have diversified our economy, grown it's manufacturing base, especially in the up and coming technologies. This for me was the big mistake that Labour made, their big lost opportunity.

Makes you wonder why the tories get booted out of office doesn't it?

Archived