Is there anyone left on here that defends this Government?

do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?

• yes i support the governments plans to repay the debt
    • no i do not support the governments plan to repay the debt
    • i dont care at all.

Make the Bankers pay first for a start. Can't quite remember the figs but isn't it £6bn worth of public spending cuts and £7bn in Bankers bonuses?

I think doctors and dentists get paid too highly as well in this country compared eg to wealth creators like engineers and scientists, I'd give them a 10% pay cut, don't know how much that would bring in though Tone.

Have you considered the fact that doctors help to produce wealth by working towards maintaining a fit and healthy workforce? It's also worth noting how many years training does it take to become a consultant, maybe around 15/20 years from school.

Have you considered the fact that doctors help to produce wealth by working towards maintaining a fit and healthy workforce? It's also worth noting how many years training does it take to become a consultant, maybe around 15/20 years from school.

Wednesday1 has lost the plot, I think he needs a doctor.

Of course, and not 100% vote Labour in the red areas either, I think we'll agree on that much. Not many lifelong benefit claimants, brick layers, tyre fitters or miners are going to vote Tory, but not many chartered architects or engineers, barristers, consultant surgeons, small company owners or blue chip company directors are going to vote Labour either. Wherever they are.

UK politics use to be a relatively class-free game with the liberal and conservative sides of the fence. When Labour added to the pot, it turned politics into a class war - and that has hardly changed today; if anything, Labour's PR machine works itself very hard to build those class divides.

Ah, your argument does weaken when you have to try to get personal, don't you think?

It wasn't me who made a sweeping generalisation. It was you.

The reason Labour emerged in the first place was because of limited representation in a society that had changed radically over a century.

I'm not getting personal. It was a sincere question.

UK politics use to be a relatively class-free game with the liberal and conservative sides of the fence. When Labour added to the pot, it turned politics into a class war - and that has hardly changed today; if anything, Labour's PR machine works itself very hard to build those class divides.

The Tories and Liberals had class war off to a tee - they denied the working class the vote till after WWI when the demand for wider suffrage was irresistible after all the deaths. The Labour Party was formed to represent working class people in the days of expanding industrialisation. The Tories and Liberals made no effort to represent them. Even Bismarck recognised the need for a welfare state. The growth of the Labour Party just reflected the growth of social divisions by class in this country due to 19th century industrialisation. All Labour did is what the Liberals and Tories had been doing for years - represent their own class. You sound like a feudal landlord.

Yes, even if thier pay was reduced only by 10% they would still be better than virtually everywhere else in Europe, the exception being Switzerland.

I agree with this. There should be a wage premium for workers who benefit and develop society. I think a doctor as more valuable to us than the average investment banker. Yet they get paid less and that is wrong.

There should be a wage premium for workers who benefit and develop society. I think a doctor as more valuable to us than the average investment banker. Yet they get paid less and that is wrong.

The big problem in this is the balance between allowing a Free Market and fighting a Free Market. The former is so much easier. If bankers can earn lots of money and government are spending time and effort in stopping it, then inevitably it is going to be waste of time and effort. These answers are never so simple.

I think nearly everyone will agree with you that a carer earning £14k a year and a banker earning £14 million is a system that is inherently unjust, but how to right that isn't easy.

Archived