Is there anyone left on here that defends this Government?

do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?

• yes i support the governments plans to repay the debt
    • no i do not support the governments plan to repay the debt
    • i dont care at all.

I take it you didn’t see the news story where graduates are being told by the job centre not to put there degrees on job applications because they are over qualified. Fewer people going to university isn’t a bad thing.

So "some" of our children dont deserve a free education that our parents got?

No we had a massive deficit and huge debts before the banking crisis.

We actually had qquite a reasonable debt as % of GDP before the crisis. We had a deficit too along with plans to tackle it. It was all completely managable. Not ideal but the Tories were in similar fiscally 'bad' places at times 79-97.

So what do you Tories think of the news that university applications for 2012 are down 9%?
Correcting misconceived social experimenting pursuant to which even the basest manual labourer shoudn't be without a degree. So, "according to plan", I'd say (maybe even as far as "still surprisingly high").

The Tories will love that our next generation can't be educated unless they have money.
All past generations, except perhaps the one-but-latest (early 30 somethings), have managed fine without a "degree-for-all" model.

Those societies that have followed this model longest, have had record unemployment (particularly for over-qualified graduates) longest. Just look at France. Graduates have been emigrating in droves since the early 90s there (I should know, I was one of them), and mass unemployment (at levels comparable to those currently sufferred in the UK) have been the norm for well over a decade there, if not two already.

When I predicted that there would be reduction in student numbers (on another thread) all the Tory / Lib Dem types were saying I was scaremongering!
I don't know if I'm a "Tory / Lib Dem type" (probably...) but I wouldn't have disagreed with you at all. It was eminently predictable, and expected.

We actually had qquite a reasonable debt as % of GDP before the crisis. We had a deficit too along with plans to tackle it. It was all completely managable. Not ideal but the Tories were in similar fiscally 'bad' places at times 79-97.

It depends on your idea of reasonable but at least you agree with me we have lived beyond our means for too long.

Nothing is free, someone always as to pay for it.

I beg to differ.

As a mother i used to say to my friends, there are 3 things you can give your children. Love, Confidence and an Education.

Now one of these are no longer free.

It clearly wasn't manageable and the government was being warned long before the crisis.

So even if we hadn't had a crisis it wasn't manageable? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it was a great situation but unmanageable?

Archived