Is there anyone left on here that defends this Government?

do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?

• yes i support the governments plans to repay the debt
    • no i do not support the governments plan to repay the debt
    • i dont care at all.

My point is that "free education" as you put it (meaning, University) ended in 1998 under Labour, if that link is accurate enough.

Thus, nothing to do with the current recession, public sector cuts, the Tory-LibDem Coalition, etc. ...Nothing to do with this thread, basically ;)

And that still correlates with the Wiki article.

Basically what I said in #607,brought in my Blunkett...maybe someone should tell Mecky :)

cant the tories just tax the well off more :suspect: you never know it might help :hihi:

50% of someone's earnings over a certain amount not enough then?

What would be fair then? 70%? 100%? of anything over lets say £50,000 after all who deserves that sort of level of money eh?

No wonder the rich people are stashing their money offshore. Who could blame them.

Basically what I said in #607,brought in my Blunkett...maybe someone should tell Mecky :)

But the Tories expanded Higher Education in 1991 with the conversion of polytechnics into universities knowing full well that the educational system would be unsustainable. Therefore it is logical that they had already planned to charge tuition fees and would dump the introduction of fees onto Labour since the Tories were not expected to win the election in 1992, a view supported by the fact that the Tories didn't introduce the fees during the next 5 years when the funding for Higher Education became desperate. It is further supported by the fact that since the Tories seized power in 2010 one of the first things they did was to increase fees to £9,000.

Yet again, your upto your assumptions.
I am not.

When did i say this was a Tory/Labour debate?
You didn't, and it isn't. The point, in case you missed it (deliberately or otherwise... ;)) is that free education (as you mean it) ended a long time ago.

You're the poster making all the assuming. Assuming that education was ever free at all (it's never been), assuming that the State would sponsor ever greater amounts of education for ever more, assuming that parents could reliably abdicate their responsibilities to provide their children with an education to the State...need I go on?

...since the Tories seized power in 2010...

You're finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that last year Labour under Brown only got 29% of the vote, aren't you? If Labour hadn't lost so many seats the Lib-Dems might have been able to form a coalition with them but mathematically there was no way Labour could form a coalition.

You Labour hacks are going to have to come out of denial at some point.

29%, remember. 29%.

Conrod, is Powerhouse your business? Im interested....

The troll has gone quiet now....
I do apologise if I'm expected to be on SF 24/7, some of us have other things to do of an evening.

Do tell, why are you interested?

But they wouldn't start with a debt laden around their neck, gaining interest.

To be honest I don't see much difference in having a "graduate tax" or a student loan...the effect is the same...although your extra tax would never be paid off...or are you putting some sort of limit on it?

But the Tories expanded Higher Education in 1991 with the conversion of polytechnics into universities knowing full well that the educational system would be unsustainable. Therefore it is logical that they had already planned to charge tuition fees and would dump the introduction of fees onto Labour since the Tories were not expected to win the election in 1992, a view supported by the fact that the Tories didn't introduce the fees during the next 5 years when the funding for Higher Education became desperate. It is further supported by the fact that since the Tories seized power in 2010 one of the first things they did was to increase fees to £9,000.

But the fees were introduced by Labour...not the tories as you were suggesting...

But the fees were introduced by Labour...not the tories as you were suggesting...
All part of the 'higher education for all' nonsense. If university places had remained limited just to those with the academic ability to pass a real degree, higher education could have remained free. Instead, Labour made it an alternative to the dole.

Archived