I wish we could see IP addresses

Karis

One of the reasons for not constantly looking at IP addresses is that these days IPs are not everything.

There are numerous ways of not displaying the IP you were using 5 minutes ago with one account when you use your new account, unfortunately for the people who want absolute proof.

If you see someone who you know for sure is a duplicate account then please let the mod team know with a report, but don't expect that the proof is as simple as an IP check :)

One of the reasons for not constantly looking at IP addresses is that these days IPs are not everything.

There are numerous ways of not displaying the IP you were using 5 minutes ago with one account when you use your new account, unfortunately for the people who want absolute proof.

Oh, Medusa. Most of the people who use this form don't know what an IP address is, never mind masking it! *grins*

You are correct, though. I could log into another server and get a different IP. But even still, I'd love to see the raw data on a few users :)

Can people have two accounts on here?

I recently joined and now my other half wants to join to but we share a laptop so wont that have the same ip?

how do we have two accounts on the same computer :)

Now THAT's a good question.

Can people have two accounts on here?

I recently joined and now my other half wants to join to but we share a laptop so wont that have the same ip?

how do we have two accounts on the same computer :)

It is against forum rules to use more than one account on SF.

However, we recognise that users may share houses for all sorts of reasons, so what we ask is that if you're aware that you have accounts that may APPEAR to be duplicate accounts to the moderating team, please come to the Helpdesk and let us know about your shared connection and we'll record that, in case it ever becomes relevant in a system search.

We have no problems with family members having their own accounts, but we'd just rather know that they are family members rather than interpreting the available data as one person using two accounts, which breaks our rules.

So we had a damn good idea who all these new posters were.

It would be a decent feature, or perhaps for privacy's sake some way to show which posts come from the same machine. Not that people always use one machine, but it'd be a nice feature.

I suspect I know who "newcrim" is, it'd be good to verify my suspicion ;)

Archived