• Yes, particularly in Dore
    • Yes, particularly in Yorkshire
    • Yes, particularly in South Yorkshire
    • Yes, particularly in the places it was demolished
    • Yes, particularly where it has been bought through Right To Buy
    • Yes, particularly in the city centre
    • Yes, particularly near Meadowhall
    • Yes, particularly in the Peak district
    • No, building housing association housing in Stocksbridge will do.

How many council properties were there in Sheffield 100 years ago compared to now?

How many 50 years ago?

How many 10 years ago?

It'd be interesting to know when people decided that the state should start to provide housing for them instead of working and either buying a house yourself or renting from a landlord (as has been happening in the UK for hundreds of years).

http://imageshack.us/f/839/dwellingstockbysize.gif/

Large scale building took place after WWII, housebuilding peaked in 1968 when over just over 410000 dwellings were constructed.

Slums were cleared and demolished and social housing constructed.

Since the 1980s the building of local authority housing stopped, RTB was introduced, and since 2002-3 home ownership has been in decline.

How many council properties were there in Sheffield 100 years ago compared to now?

How many 50 years ago?

How many 10 years ago?

It'd be interesting to know when people decided that the state should start to provide housing for them instead of working and either buying a house yourself or renting from a landlord (as has been happening in the UK for hundreds of years).

I would rather pay my rent back to the state so the state can (ideally) build more state funded homes for the not so well off. Why on earth would I want to line the pockets of someone who already clearly earns more than enough homes when there is a much better, fairer system available?

What has it got to do with the council?

Surely not for profit housing associations are the way forward.

The councils don't have the money to be building more housing

where would they get it from?

The council represents all of us whereas the Housing Association is for the people who rent the Association's properties.

This thread got me thinking.....so:

Ok... someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Lets say there are currently 60m folk living in the UK.

A quick google reveals that the current steady population growth in the UK is 0.7%. If that was maintained, it means that in 100 years the population will double.

There are currently approximately 25m homes in the UK. so.... to stand still, we have to increase the number of homes by 25m...........so each year, a quarter of a million. Thats a fair old project and a fair few plots of land required.

This thread got me thinking.....so:

Ok... someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Lets say there are currently 60m folk living in the UK.

A quick google reveals that the current steady population growth in the UK is 0.7%. If that was maintained, it means that in 100 years the population will double.

There are currently approximately 25m homes in the UK. so.... to stand still, we have to increase the number of homes by 25m...........so each year, a quarter of a million. Thats a fair old project and a fair few plots of land required.

Not to mention the fact that lower amounts of building over the past 30 years have led to a shortage of housing and pent up demand for it to be built.

In 1968 they built over 400 000 homes.

Last year, we built about 100 000.

We must build houses, and build many!

The price of housing shall be depressed, but homes are for living in! Not for investors to try and profit from through speculation.

Archived