Palestine statehood to be announced..

this is wrong. The Arabs never called themselves Palestinians. They never called themselves anything at all really, as they only identified with their tribes.

"Palestine" comes from the Romans renaming the land after the Jews' ancient enemy, the Philistines, to rub salt in their wounds following the crushing of the Zionist revolt, the Bar Kockba revolt in around AD 135. Before it was renamed Syria/Palestina, it was known by the Romans as Judea.

get it? Jews come from Judea. Arabs from from Arabia. See who the coloniser is?

prior to the establishment of the British Palestine Mandate, during the Ottoman period, the Arabs didn't call themselves anything. They had no conception of any nation state. If they DID call themselves anything, it would have been southern Syrians.

Palestine would have meant nothing to them. It's a Latin/European word. There is no P sound in the Arabic language. They can''t even say it.

My bold...

you say Bombay I say Mumbai, you say Peking, I say Beijing. I say Felastin, you say Palestine...

You say Mao Zedong, I say Mao Tse Tung

Tomayato - tomarto, potayto - potarto

I'm surprised you didn't know that Israel offered Gaza as part of the 1979 peace deal. They could have had every square centimeter of it.

Egypt refused and I doubt if they'll want it all of a sudden now.

Arab spring and all that? Times change and we change with the times?

Arab spring and all that? Times change and we change with the times?

doubt it.

it was just so funny. Israel said, look here's Sinai. You want that, right?

Egypt : yes please.

Israel : how about Gaza as well? You can have that too. We don't want it. After all you had it before.

Egypt : shut up. Are you having a laugh. Of course we don't want it any more than you do. You've got it and you're stuck with it.

I say Felastin, you say Palestine...

are you a native Arabic speaker then, that has trouble pronouncing the letter P? Do you say Bakistan, for Pakistan, like Arabs do as well? When you don't want to drink Coca Cola, do you ask for Bebsi?

Filastin is the closest Arabic speakers can get to Palestine, which is a LATIN/EUROPEAN word.

Archived