Speed awareness course question

m3_y

Hi

Does anyone know what the eligibility criteria for south yorkshire police to attend the speed awareness course rather than taking the points?

Ive been done for 37mph in a 30 zone... and want to know if i am looking points?

If you have 'been done for 37MPH' do you mean you have had a letter through from SYP?

The speed awareness course (if being offered) should have been with the notice for speeding. I recall the course facilitator saying it was being offered to anyone going 12 miles above the limit.

The course is okay and serves as a good refresher! :)

When I got mine, I got a help leaflet in with the NIP (notification of intended prosecution).

The first task is to send it back owning up to being the driver within the deadline (usually 21 days).

IIRC, you then recieve another letter detailing what they are doing with you re: points/course/worse.

If you have not been on a course in the last 3 years and meet the critera (I suspect you do) you will then have a box to tick on your little returnable form to accept the offer. This is usually returnable within 14 days. Mine had a box saying a) Course, b) Points, c) contest.

When that has been received and processed you should/may recieve details of or from your nearest course provider. You would then book and pay the fee to the course provider. You can also choose anywhere in the country to take your course so long as you sucessfully complete it within the given timescale (IIRC about 3 months).

Thats a bit like sewing mail bags even though you aint in prison.

Unless you treat driving as a life skill that could do with refreshing.

You can, of course, seek out a well-qualified Fleet, Defensive or Advanced Instructor for a refresher course but nobody does despite the fact that most who get volunteered by the Police or their company for such a course come away from it thinking it was a very worthwhile exercise.

But then again, there are lots of drivers out there who lack ability or confidence in one or more aspects of their driving and insist on going through a driving career without seeking professional help.

Archived