Your advice please - A levels as a bet

Tony

I may come to regret this but I have accepted a bet to take A levels in subjects of my choice, without any tuition, and pass the exams before Christmas.

So dear friends, I have some questions that I need you help with.

1. Which subjects?

2. Having to submit course work is a no-no so exams only.

3. Where can I sit an exam out of sync with the usual A Level cycles?

There is a whole tenner riding on it - don't let me down!

If you are going for difficulty I would do Further maths and Chemistry.

The exams are in Jan, no alternative dates that I know of. However I think most subjects have a coursework/ investigation element. There might be an international A level qualification like the iGCSE which is 100% exam.

You will need to look at the examination boards: Edexcel, AQA, OCR are three of the biggest to find details of examinations.

I guess that the best advice would be to do something that you already know something about and that interests you. You'll have a fair bit to learn, so you might as well enjoy it.

Maybe History, or Economics or Politics might be engaging.

Are you just wanting to take AS level, or A2 as well? Whichever you want, you will have to fit in with exam board timetables.

This link will help you to identify the times for the exams that you choose.

Yes it does, when did you take A Level? Oh and by the way I do not tell lies I took my A level about 3 years ago online and at A level Language and Literature are combined. I suggest you take that back because I don't like being called a liar

AFAIK there are now 3 "A" levels for English.

English Language

English Literature

English Language and Literature

When I was at school - just after the days of the chisel on a stone slab or charcoal on papyrus - but well before the biro - the only English "A" level was Literature although we had a curious post "O" level English Language exam taken in the lower sixth called "Use of English".

I may come to regret this but I have accepted a bet to take A levels in subjects of my choice, without any tuition, and pass the exams before Christmas.

1. Which subjects?

Never mind "A" levels - I'm sure the Central University Neepsend Tip Site could fix you up with a degree before January.

BA Conspiraloonacy under Prof vResistance only requires a link to 10 dodgy youtube videos and a brief explanation of "why this proves 9/11, 7/7, JFK, HAARP, Last of the Summer Wine, etc" was a conspiracy.

NWO, the Illuminati and/or Jews are pretty safe answers.

1. Which subjects?

My my my, this says it all about you.

Just the two.

I have a grade 3 CSE maths. :| though later study (and much finger pulling-out) got me up to degree level applied maths. A couple of years ago I undertook 9 technical exams and three practical exams in subjects that I'd never studied before so I'm comfortable with self study.

If I'm honest, I'm hoping to buy a couple of text books, digest them, maybe use an online crammer and sit a test or two.

You've lost your tenner if your mate is going to be strict about all those criteria. The best you'll do is a couple of AS levels in January, depending on the availability of the unit exams; depending on the subject, some of the A2 unit exams (required for the full A Level) aren't available in the winter exam session.

Check the exam boards for assessment requirements and exam dates. Maths and Statistics might be an option (the course work units have exam alternatives for those subjects, at least for AQA), but you'll only be able to do both subjects as long as you don't choose the stats units from the Maths specification.

Make sure you post your results when you get them :D .

Archived