Your advice please - A levels as a bet

Tony

Having passed a full A level in the past 5 years in my late thirties, I think you will be very lucky to pass. It was in spanish and I had to spend about 12 hours of homework per week plus 3 hours of nightclass for 2 years. There were lots of different tests to pass and assignments to hand in. During the full programme of 2 years comprising the AS and the A2 stages, only about 20% of the starters saw it through to the end due to the workload and how difficult it was.

You're having yourself on if you think you can breeze through any A level subject. Also judging by the ridiculous nature, the bet would have to be at least £1000 to make it worthwhile, not just a tenner.

It would probably cost £400 to £500 for the course fees alone and I imagine you won't be able to sit any exam until you have done the courses. No educational institution would put you in for the exam unless they think you will pass because a fail would, be damaging to their statistics, maybe affecting their funding.

You're having yourself on if you think you can breeze through any A level subject. ...

Depends, doesn't it, especially as Tony seems to be doing it for a bet rather than for enlightenment. If he chooses subjects he has some background in, he shouldn't have too much of a problem with not much more than ensuring that he knows what's on the syllabus and refreshes the hazy subjects. I'd have a bit of a cry if I couldn't pass Biology.

It would probably cost £400 to £500 for the course fees alone and I imagine you won't be able to sit any exam until you have done the courses. No educational institution would put you in for the exam unless they think you will pass because a fail would, be damaging to their statistics, maybe affecting their funding.

You can enter for A Level exams as a private candidate, and there's no requirement to have taken any period of formal tuition, not even by distance learning (assuming that you're going for courses with no coursework or other internal assessment requirements, in which case you'll need a tutor and/or centre support).

However... Tony will need to pay the exam board entry fee for each unit, plus a fee for each unit to the centre where he'll be sitting the exams. Tony will have to value his pride more than his wallet if he wants to get his hands on a shiny certificate or two.

You're having yourself on if you think you can breeze through any A level subject. Also judging by the ridiculous nature, the bet would have to be at least £1000 to make it worthwhile, not just a tenner.

Anyone can pay to privately sit an exam, you don't need a school to put you forward for it.

Archived