Krakow - What's it like ?

Brilliant, brilliant place. I could not recommend it more highly. Went in '08 and it's great value, beautiful and atmospheric. If you go before Xmas, the market is fabulous. Only a 50 minute trip to Auschwitz as well which is well worth dedicating a day too.

We're off to Tallinn this year for a winter break. Don't think it's as grand or as reasonably priced, but am hopeful that it'll be good. Again, it's meant to be a lovely place for a few days.

Krakow is one of the oldest cities in Europe with plenty of relicts, churches, monuments, beautiful architecture etc. One of the greatest polish universitiy is located in Krakow and this city is always full of students as well as tourist. It's very friendly and atmospheric place. Lots of sightseeing during the day and plenty of nice pubs and clubs to visit at night ;) If you intend to stay in Krakow for couple of days you can also visit Zakopane, small but very lovely and characteristic town. Zakopane is heart of polish mountains and highlanders culture with lovely old-style wooden architecture, restaurants and folk music, really remarkable. Have a nice trip :)

Well, it was great in about 1993 when I was there for about 3 days and it still seems great now ! What everyone says [ above ] is true-----a great city. If my memory 's correct, in the big square in the centre there were about 9 pavement cafes and gypsy musicians passing from one to the other without being obtrusive. A great mixture of the ancient and modern-----good jazz clubs, for example. Apart from Auschwitz, in the other direction [ I think ? ] is the Plaskow camp, made [in]famous in the Schindler 's List film. I visited only Auschwitz and that was enough to think about for a life-time !

As others have said, it's well worth a visit. The architecture is stunning (a breathtaking mix of renaissance, gothic and baroque), culturally you can can see anything from jazz to opera arias, it's nice and compact, the salt mines are well worth a visit as is Auschwitz, if you have the stomach for it. My advice would be to leave that until your last day otherwise it may cast a pall over the rest of your stay. Fabulous covered market, brilliant for amber jewellry, if that's your bag. When we visited in 2009, restoration of Schindler's factory was near completion but is now open to the public. The Jewish quarter had the best eateries, in my view.

Brilliant, brilliant place. I could not recommend it more highly. Went in '08 and it's great value, beautiful and atmospheric. If you go before Xmas, the market is fabulous. Only a 50 minute trip to Auschwitz as well which is well worth dedicating a day too.

We're off to Tallinn this year for a winter break. Don't think it's as grand or as reasonably priced, but am hopeful that it'll be good. Again, it's meant to be a lovely place for a few days.

Ive been to Tallin several times the first being after the country broke away from the Russians.It was very cheap then but since its been added to the must see cities by the cruise ships prices have rocketed.Ex Russian military gear is still very cheap to buy .

Archived