Motorcycle Demos 25th Sept

Toten

From reading the proposals, it seems they are a good thing as they will help make the roads safer not just for motorcyclists but other road users as well.

It's a pity that the motorcyclists protesting against it are acting like spoilt children, but if they didn't drive so recklessly in the first place this legislation wouldn't be needed.

From reading the proposals, it seems they are a good thing as they will help make the roads safer not just for motorcyclists but other road users as well.

In the same way that side impact bars and air bags have for car drivers I assume. No amount of safety measures will prevent an individual from riding/driving like a mong.

Erm ... I haven't read this thread all the way through (I've got a cold and can't concentrate), so someone may have already mentioned this.

What about owners of custom bikes? You can hardly fit factory original parts to them ... quite often the bikes hand made. You certainly can't get 15 inch wide rear wheels off the shelf for starters as they're not fitted to standard production bikes. Will custom bikes be banned?

What about someone who's just spent £25,000 on a Harley ... no one in their right mind is gonna want to ride it wearing a high-viz jacket are they? It'd look stupid! It's a question of style.

I'd love to see the puzzled expression on a coppers face if he pulls up a Harley to check if it's got standard parts on it ... the aftermarket catalogue is the same size as a phone directory!

Same goes for sports bikers too ... they spend a fortune on armoured leathers, you're hardly gonna want to cover them up in a daft day-glo yellow vest are you?

What about the massive amount of proud owners of vintage motorbikes ... will they be banned from using them in built up areas (over seven years old)?

These laws (if introduced) will never work. Motorcycling's about freedom and choice and should be left that way. If owners want to wear high-viz clothing, that's fine but it mustn't be compulsory.

But you surely can't deny that bikers can be more easily seen when wearing high viz,and a higher percentage would be avoidable.

So the onus is on the rider to allow for the fact that some drivers are incapable of seeing a hazard without it being bright yellow?

Wouldn't it be better to prevent these people from using the roads in the first place, than to force a measure on other road users to make up for their poor hazard perception?

John X

It's a pity that the motorcyclists protesting against it are acting like spoilt children, but if they didn't drive so recklessly in the first place this legislation wouldn't be needed.

some bikers are reckless thats true,:thumbsup: but no car drivers are:hihi::loopy:

CAR DRIVERS its been proven that the biggest injury to drivers and passengers in car crashes are legs due to seat belts and air bags reducing upper body injury but legs just get bounced about and generally trapped by the impact. Tests were done and proven that if all the passingers in the car wore cricket leg shields and an accident were to occur then they would be much safer.. but you say i've never had an accident!...what a stupid idea for everyone in the car to wear leg shields...and bikers agree with you:love:

Erm ... I haven't read this thread all the way through (I've got a cold and can't concentrate), so someone may have already mentioned this.

What about owners of custom bikes? You can hardly fit factory original parts to them ... quite often the bikes hand made. You certainly can't get 15 inch wide rear wheels off the shelf for starters as they're not fitted to standard production bikes. Will custom bikes be banned?

What about someone who's just spent £25,000 on a Harley ... no one in their right mind is gonna want to ride it wearing a high-viz jacket are they? It'd look stupid! It's a question of style.

I'd love to see the puzzled expression on a coppers face if he pulls up a Harley to check if it's got standard parts on it ... the aftermarket catalogue is the same size as a phone directory!

Same goes for sports bikers too ... they spend a fortune on armoured leathers, you're hardly gonna want to cover them up in a daft day-glo yellow vest are you?

What about the massive amount of proud owners of vintage motorbikes ... will they be banned from using them in built up areas (over seven years old)?

These laws (if introduced) will never work. Motorcycling's about freedom and choice and should be left that way. If owners want to wear high-viz clothing, that's fine but it mustn't be compulsory.

There are idiotic proposals coming out of Brussels every few years over stuff like this. Much of what is proposed here is simply not enforcable - and in some cases not workable in the first place.

Sealed drive trains? Nonsense, simply can't be done. If it can be made, it can be modifed.

Computer-controlled throttle, compulsory ABS - things that would simply not be achievable on small budget bikes.

Bright clothing? Choice really. It would be just as easy to argue that all cars should be dayglo orange - I once had a silver-grey car and the increased number of times people would pull out without seeing that car was amazing compared to the bright red car I had before.

It would also be interesting to see what proposals there would be to retro-fit this to nonsense to current machines.

So the onus is on the rider to allow for the fact that some drivers are incapable of seeing a hazard without it being bright yellow?

Wouldn't it be better to prevent these people from using the roads in the first place, than to force a measure on other road users to make up for their poor hazard perception?

John X

All valid points but it won't be them left lying in the road with broken limbs and facing weeks off work.I agree that road users should have better hazard perception and in an ideal world there would be no "accidents".I've ridden bikes since the mid 70's and have never had an accident but I put that down more to luck than to any other factor.I have always thought that it might be a good idea for everybody to ride a bike or moped for a year before being allowed to take lessons in a car.I wonder if there are any statistics available regarding accidents invoving car drivers who have previousley been motorcyclists.

Bikes can be hard to see and my worst nightmare when driving the car is to pull out on a bike.

All valid points but it won't be them left lying in the road with broken limbs and facing weeks off work.I agree that road users should have better hazard perception and in an ideal world there would be no "accidents".I've ridden bikes since the mid 70's and have never had an accident but I put that down more to luck than to any other factor.I have always thought that it might be a good idea for everybody to ride a bike or moped for a year before being allowed to take lessons in a car.I wonder if there are any statistics available regarding accidents invoving car drivers who have previousley been motorcyclists.

Bikes can be hard to see and my worst nightmare when driving the car is to pull out on a bike.

It's a myth that bikes can be hard to see- they're pretty big things with a adult-sized human being on top!

They're only hard to see for those drivers who are too rushed, or who can't be bothered to look properly before pulling out (assuming the biker is riding within the law and not speeding).

You say this as though you have no say in the matter!

I both ride and drive, and have no nightmares about pulling out on a bike as I have no intention of doing it.

John X

You say this as though you have no say in the matter!

I both ride and drive, and have no nightmares about pulling out on a bike as I have no intention of doing it.

John X

Best will in the world, all it takes is a seconds lapse of concentration. I expect cars to pull out when i'm riding and look properly when i'm driving.

Archived