Drugs Testing for Benefits

Conrod

Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?

• Yes, and if they fail the tests have their benefits stopped until they can provide clear samples.
    • Yes, and if caught their benefits should be reduced by a percentage until they can pass.
    • They should only receive food and domestic service vouchers anyway, not money.
    • No, they should be able to spend other people's money any way they want, even illegally.

I thought it was a she. He/she may have but it's not just class A drug users that steal for their drug.

Very true but i imagine cocaine,heroin,crack is more expensive than soft drugs like cannabis.I could be wrong though.

The average cost of keeping someone in prison for a year in 2011 is £47000.I imagine their benefits would be a lesser burden on the taxpayer than that.Not to mention the trauma they would undoubtedly cause families etc for the crimes they would commit to get sent to prison.

Realistically its the government that has created a class of its own where they are not going to go out and get a job when they essentially get the same money for doing nothing(for some people.)Until they bring in something like a reduction in benefits the longer you are out of work its not going to go away and even then its going to penalize a few who genuinely cant get work due to lack of experience/education.

If you came up with a reasonably viable solution then I think you may improve the argument. Seeing as you're incapable I'll help you. Not that I agree with the method. However, why not give all benefit claimants retail / food vouchers that can only be cashed by the claimant on presenting I.D.?

Because it would infantilise and dehumanise people and deny their freedom to choose to spend their money as they see fit.

Very true but i imagine cocaine,heroin,crack is more expensive than soft drugs like cannabis.I could be wrong though.

The average cost of keeping someone in prison for a year in 2011 is £47000.I imagine their benefits would be a lesser burden on the taxpayer than that.Not to mention the trauma they would undoubtedly cause families etc for the crimes they would commit to get sent to prison.

Realistically its the government that has created a class of its own where they are not going to go out and get a job when they essentially get the same money for doing nothing(for some people.)Until they bring in something like a reduction in benefits the longer you are out of work its not going to go away and even then its going to penalize a few who genuinely cant get work due to lack of experience/education.

reduction of benefits? it's not that easy to live off benefits. How bot raising the minimum wage??

It's too much of a bllack and white law. Like someone said there could be one guy who smokes a spliff once a week and some guy who spends it all on heroins. they shouldn't be treated the same. I'm not saying there isn't a problem with people living on benfits for ever but this isn't the way to tackle that problem.

Surely whilst they're partaking in drugs they are committing a crime. Should the benefits system encourage criminal behaviour if it is known to be happening?

Surely whilst they're partaking in drugs they are committing a crime. Should the benefits system encourage criminal behaviour if it is known to be happening?

It doesn't encourage it anymore than shotguns encourage bankrobbers.

Millions of people on benefits use drugs, millions in employment use drugs too.

the criminality of drugs has gone back n forth in that other thread and goes nowhere. It is 'criminal' but not morally wrong, that's my opinion, but progbaly not yours and I doubt either of us would shift positions

Why single out the benefits system - why not any system? The healthcare system, the political system, the education system, the civil service? Why are they exempt?

It doesn't encourage it anymore than shotguns encourage bankrobbers.

Millions of people on benefits use drugs, millions in employment use drugs too.

Yes it does. You're paying for the habit. The millions of employed have to earn their drug. The drug's not the issue. Who's paying for it is.

You have kids right? Would you rather they learned to earn and respect their drug of choice or just keep irresponsibly feeding something that clearly needs to take a back seat for a while? Being unemployed and all.

Archived