Drugs Testing for Benefits

Conrod

Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?

• Yes, and if they fail the tests have their benefits stopped until they can provide clear samples.
    • Yes, and if caught their benefits should be reduced by a percentage until they can pass.
    • They should only receive food and domestic service vouchers anyway, not money.
    • No, they should be able to spend other people's money any way they want, even illegally.

Rubbish having a drink of alcohol is not using an illegal substance or abusing an illegal substance.

No one said it is. However, the OP specifically mentions "drink" as one of the things they think the unemployed should be tested for. Perhaps you would like to read it again. Post #1, right at the top of the first page. It's not hard to find.

No one said it is. However, the OP specifically mentions "drink" as one of the things they think the unemployed should be tested for. Perhaps you would like to read it again. Post #1, right at the top of the first page. It's not hard to find.

I saw it as 'Drink and take drugs'

Rubbish having a drink of alcohol is not using an illegal substance or abusing an illegal substance.

Did I ever say it was? You are the only person who has always maintained that a drug can only be abused.

Regardless, I went to great lengths in the post to which you have just replied to point out that the debate doesn't just include illegal drugs. The OP specifically included "drink" as one of the items of censure.

I saw it as 'Drink and take drugs'

You drink alcohol, it is a legal drug.

Did I ever say it was? You are the only person who has always maintained that a drug can only be abused.

Regardless, I went to great lengths in the post to which you have just replied to point out that the debate doesn't just include illegal drugs. The OP specifically included "drink" as one of the items of censure.

You drink alcohol, it is a legal drug.

alcohol's not a drug, it's a drink

A drug is any substance not found in an organism that when absorbed into an organism has an effect on normal bodily function.

Alcohol is a drug with wide effects, primarily those of depressing the CNS, intoxication and psychoactivity.

Bassman62 isn't defined at all in the OED - should I therefore presume you don't exist?

Archived