Drugs Testing for Benefits

Conrod

Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?

• Yes, and if they fail the tests have their benefits stopped until they can provide clear samples.
    • Yes, and if caught their benefits should be reduced by a percentage until they can pass.
    • They should only receive food and domestic service vouchers anyway, not money.
    • No, they should be able to spend other people's money any way they want, even illegally.

sorry, partridge/brasseye quote
Damn, I should have known that.

Anyway, back to alcohol:

Site search for alcohol

British National Formulary

Results 1 - 5 of 337 documents matching alcohol, sorted with best match first. Select any link to see the full document.

Alcohol

Emergency treatment of poisoning > Specific drugs > Alcohol

Alcohol

4 Central nervous system > 4.1 Hypnotics and anxiolytics > 4.1.1 Hypnotics > Alcohol

4.10.1 Alcohol dependence

4 Central nervous system > 4.10 Drugs used in substance dependence > 4.10.1 Alcohol dependence

9.6.2 Vitamin B group

9 Nutrition and blood > 9.6 Vitamins > 9.6.2 Vitamin B group

ALCOHOL

13 Skin > 13.11 Skin cleansers, antiseptics, and desloughing agents > 13.11.1 Alcohols and saline > ALCOHOL

The British National Formulary (guide to available drugs) lists it as a skin cleanser. And a drug.

When I want to know the meaning of synecdoche I go to to a dictionary, because it's a word. When I want to know the effects of a substance, I go to the BNF. It's the dictionary for drugs.

It's all about choosing the right reference book for the job, rather than relying on a dictionary for everything.

Maybe basssman, you should pick up a copy, you may learn something.

The oxford dictionary states nothing about alcohol being a drug or related to a drug.

They're wrong then.
Only by omission, and they're linguists not pharmacists.

This topic which is entitled Drugs Testing for Benefits is nothing to do with your post, please stick to topic.

Some people stray "off topic" all the time and then when their "opinions" are rubbished, use the old "stay on topic" line. If the topic was stuck to too rigidly then we'd have a thread full of "yes" and "no" and not much else. On the subject of paying taxes to "substance abusers" :rolleyes: then the very system of paying tax means we don't get much of a say either way. For instance there are certain people who I wouldn't want my tax money going to help if they were dying a slow and painful death (no names), but we have the NHS so that choice is not mine unfortunately. Thankfully it's not yours either ;)

Archived