Drugs Testing for Benefits

Conrod

Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?

• Yes, and if they fail the tests have their benefits stopped until they can provide clear samples.
    • Yes, and if caught their benefits should be reduced by a percentage until they can pass.
    • They should only receive food and domestic service vouchers anyway, not money.
    • No, they should be able to spend other people's money any way they want, even illegally.

Brilliant bit of research Chem1st and very interesting to see once again how this type of propaganda works in action. People really have to start waking up to this- once you understand what signs to look for it's just so obvious! Blame the ones at the top, those with the power to wreck lives, not the ones at the lower end of society who are powerless.
Don't forget they're often also useless and feckless. ;)

Brilliant bit of research Chem1st and very interesting to see once again how this type of propaganda works in action. People really have to start waking up to this- once you understand what signs to look for it's just so obvious! Blame the ones at the top, those with the power to wreck lives, not the ones at the lower end of society who are powerless.

Even better!

The governor of Florida who has enacted the drug tests, owns the company that administers them - Solantic (1/3 of his fortune is invested in that company).

http://www.mulliganslist.com/-2/posts/13_News_Entertainment_/308_Headlines/11827_Gov_Rick_Scott_Solantic_and_conflict_of_interest_What_s_the_deal_.html

And he has transferred his share in the company to his wife to avoid a 'conflict of interest', at least according to the laws of Florida!

By transferring the Solantic shares to his wife's trust, which is represented on the Solantic board by one of his former business associates, Scott maintains he is free from any possible conflicts.

"As I've told you, I'm not involved in that company," he said this week when asked why he didn't sell his shares.

Unless Solantic does business directly with the governor's office, there are no conflicts, says Tallahassee lawyer Mark Herron, an expert on Florida's ethics laws. Most states, as well as the federal government, forbid the kind of share shuffle Scott used.

But in Florida, nothing bars Scott from promoting policies that could benefit a company from which his family benefits financially.

And he has transferred his share in the company to his wife to avoid a 'conflict of interest', at least according to the laws of Florida!

Might that also improve his tax position?

Just asking... and wondering whether Florida and Sheffield are similar.

Even better!

The governor of Florida who has enacted the drug tests, owns the company that administers them - Solantic (1/3 of his fortune is invested in that company).

http://www.mulliganslist.com/-2/posts/13_News_Entertainment_/308_Headlines/11827_Gov_Rick_Scott_Solantic_and_conflict_of_interest_What_s_the_deal_.html

That's truly staggering, I'm disgusted...pretty much sums up what I said in my original point on this thread.

I do wish people would get off the backs of benefit recipients and place their anger where it is deserved, ie with successive governments who have ruined this country through bad management and self agrandisement.

Billions have been wasted on a lot less worthy causes than benefits, and yet nothing is said or done about it.

You're proposing testing all claiments in order to catch a few. It would cost far more to administer than it would save, and would you honestly trust this or any other government to organise such a scheme without making a complete **** up of it.

Thought I'd seen this posted before on facebook by an American!

It's political propaganda.

Punish the unemployed, forget about the bankers, forget about the INFLATION TAX, instigated by QE. (Ever increasing QE)

The following link is a blog, with the OP's post, from 2009...

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/job---urine-test/blog-43406/

Next link is a leaflet of it, edited to say politicians should pass too and mentioning the introduction of this policy in Florida...

http://soulclassics247.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/To-Pee-or-Not-to-Pee.pdf

And finally, a link showing it has been enacted in Florida...

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-02/us/florida.drug.tests.welfare_1_drug-tests-drug-screening-rick-scott?_s=PM:US

Seconded, cavegirl. Well done, chem1st. I've often seen plagiarisms like this on the net on various subjects. It's about time folk had a bit of originality.

I think if you're going to import an illiberal and authoritarian policy like this from a US wingnut, you must apply it consistently.

So that means everyone in receipt of state money, including child benefit, state pension, tax credits, civil servants, armed forces, policemen, doctors, nurses, academics, MPs, special advisors to MPs, Peers, etc should all be randomly tested for drugs and drug impairment (including alcohol and prescription drugs)

You'll need an entirely new government Department of Random Drugs Testing, and a way of filtering out false positives from all the legal subtances (particularly opiates and stimulants which are found in a very large number of OTC and prescription remedies) and determine whether impairment is present in all cases.

So apart from being cynically aimed at the poorest people in spite of the moral argument applying to all recipients of state money, and in spite of ignoring the logistical and financial nightmare of enacting such a policy, yeah - great idea!

Did you hear about the Silicon Valley software firm that drug tests its employees?

I bet you've heard of the ones that specifically don't.

Are you sure it was a British soldier? I've never heard any Briton use the expression "benefits cheque". Giro, dole money, social security, yes but never "benefits cheque". Sounds like an Americanism.

It's not an Americanism. Especially the way it's spelled. Cheque? No, here we call it "welfare". (On the west coast, anyway)

A few years ago, someone tried to offer an incentive for Norplant implants (the contraceptive). I believe it was $500 to any woman of child bearing age receiving welfare benefits. Oh boy. Did that open up a can of worms. Naturally it was called racist. (despite an equal number of blacks and whites on welfare)

Archived