Drugs Testing for Benefits

Conrod

Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should claimants have to pass random drug tests to receive benefits?

• Yes, and if they fail the tests have their benefits stopped until they can provide clear samples.
    • Yes, and if caught their benefits should be reduced by a percentage until they can pass.
    • They should only receive food and domestic service vouchers anyway, not money.
    • No, they should be able to spend other people's money any way they want, even illegally.

I'm not claiming that right, but perhaps a government could. After all, it's not their money unless they've earned it - which they haven't. Food and service bill vouchers should be the method of payment for claimants.

As an aside, why do you find it necessary to stoop to personal insults?

If you're going to cry about it, I retract the word 'git'.

You are self evidently pompous and self righteous, however, so that stands.

I think if you're going to import an illiberal and authoritarian policy like this from a US wingnut, you must apply it consistently.

So that means everyone in receipt of state money, including child benefit, state pension, tax credits, civil servants, armed forces, policemen, doctors, nurses, academics, MPs, special advisors to MPs, Peers, etc should all be randomly tested for drugs and drug impairment (including alcohol and prescription drugs)

You'll need an entirely new government Department of Random Drugs Testing, and a way of filtering out false positives from all the legal subtances (particularly opiates and stimulants which are found in a very large number of OTC and prescription remedies) and determine whether impairment is present in all cases.

So apart from being cynically aimed at the poorest people in spite of the moral argument applying to all recipients of state money, and in spite of ignoring the logistical and financial nightmare of enacting such a policy, yeah - great idea!

Did you hear about the Silicon Valley software firm that drug tests its employees?

I bet you've heard of the ones that specifically don't.

Upon what do you base this statement?

I suspect it's based upon a personal disdain for those unfortunate enough to be in that position and as you suggest a readiness to believe what he reads in very badly written and exaggerated reporting.

I suspect it's biased media speak. Please don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail.

You may be being over-generous there Anna - do they still print The Sport?

So you're happy for claimants to spend your tax money on drugs when they should be using it to feed their family?

Can you provide any details to back up your claim such as the percentage of people claiming who use drugs? Maybe also the percentage of single people without families doing the same?

Yes I am quite happy.

The relevance of soldiers who were demobbed in 1945 in comparison to more recent war vets is a bad one. I don't think drugs were that widely available then...

And most like my relatives didn't take up drugs, making excuses for bad conduct is oh so typical of todays applologists

Archived