Is there really a problem with polygamists and the benefits system?

The Daily Mail and Barones Flather seem to think so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041244/The-truth-polygamy-A-special-investigation-Muslim-men-exploit-benefits-system.html

Is it time the whole child benefit thing was overhauled. Maybe pay for the first child only perhaps?

Yes but the Daily Mail think people care about Diana and Madeline McCann.

I don't agree with polygamous or bigamous marriage. But in essence these families are treated the same as anyone else in the UK who has children with multiple partners and claims benefits as a single parent. Many men have chldren to different mothers who do this but don't enter in to any form of marriage. Or a couple may get divorced, and the man sets up another family, leaving his first wife as a single parent claiming benefits.

What's the difference?

I don't agree with polygamous or bigamous marriage. But in essence these families are treated the same as anyone else in the UK who has children with multiple partners and claims benefits as a single parent. Many men have chldren to different mothers who do this but don't enter in to any form of marriage. Or a couple may get divorced, and the man sets up another family, leaving his first wife as a single parent claiming benefits.

What's the difference?

The difference might be when it is not only seen to be acceptable, but viewed by some communities as a cultural norm.

What's the difference?

I saw the similarities. How many people in those cultures that have more than one wife would look upon a western person in a similar situation as immoral? I somehow don't think someone from those cultures who are married to several women would look on the western, unmarried, counterpart in the same way as they would their fellow 'married' neighbours.

Archived