After ten years Muslims make a stand against extremism.

Is it a case of too little too late? Has the practice of just standing by and protecting the extremists done too much irreversible damage for the muslim community?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15044797

The same man issued a Fatwa against terrorism last year. I don't think it was very successful.

So this guy issued a fatwa against terrorism. I wonder if that includes the terror inflicted upon apostates, or victims of ridiculous blasphemy laws, or victims of honour killings, or people severely punished for such things as adultery. Islamic terrorism doesn't always come in the guise of bombs and bullets :)

If this man of peace and tolerance wants to appear as a moderate, he needs to condemn all those things, but unfortunately that would mean turning his back on much of his religion.

I think that Christians should apologize for the crusades first.

This is like mentioning *Hitler in a topic, its just a matter of time.

Look, I formally apologize on behalf of all Christians about the Crusades. It was a bad thing and I urge any young Christians from following that path.

Life is too short people to go getting out the family armor, its time to put down that sword brothers.

*Now look what you made me do.

I think that Christians should apologize for the crusades first.

And who started the crusades off in the first place, it wouldn't be the muslims attacking Byzantia per chance?

"It was launched in 1095 by Pope Urban II with the primary goal of responding to an appeal from Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos, who requested that western volunteers come to his aid and help to repel the invading Seljuq Turks from Anatolia."

Above quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Crusade

If anything it should be muslims who apologise (correct spelling) for the crusades.

It takes a brave person to stand up against terrorists and point out people from their own areas to the authorities.

There is always the threat of severe repurcusions.

I am sure many work against terrorism and it is only right that this is tret in a confidential way and not publicised.

It is the results of the efforts made against terrorism and not sensational newspaper headlines that save lives.

It does seem that in certain quarters normal muslims can't win. Previous pronouncements/rallys against terrorism have been dismissed as too small or not well enough supported. My understanding of what people wanted was a large mainstream demonstration against terrorism by muslims, which is what this is. So it gets brushed aside as too late.

Coming from a large English catholic familly I would have been incredibly insulted if anyone had cast doubt on me or my famillies loyalty to this country during the troubles because my familly was catholic(which nobody ever did), and had we gone to the trouble of organising a large anti-IRA rally and then been told, too little too late, all you catholic sorts are still really pro IRA I'd be bloody furious.

When will certain people realise that there are only too sets of people banging the "real muslims want to take over the planet and hate non-muslims" drum, al qaeda types and the far right. If your discourse about what "real" islam/muslims could come straight out of a jihadi video then perhaps you might want to rethink your approach?

A: "Islam is evil. Show me some muslims who stand against extremism."

B: "Here are some muslims who stand against extremism."

A: "Why haven't they done it before? Why don't they do it louder? Islam is evil."

That typifies the response of many of the boneheads.

Boiling ancient history down into a two line "blame game" is preposterous.

It is. But proposterousness is no obstacle to the mighty intellect and empathy vacuum that is Mecky.

So this guy issued a fatwa against terrorism. I wonder if that includes the terror inflicted upon apostates, or victims of ridiculous blasphemy laws, or victims of honour killings, or people severely punished for such things as adultery. Islamic terrorism doesn't always come in the guise of bombs and bullets :)

Yes; he's condemned all of the above.

The only thing I haven't heard is the condemnation of bombs and bullets from non-Islamic terrorists (like in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria etc...) :(

Archived